Mariner 20 hp Starter Install

waldensridge

Cadet
image (6).jpg12.jpgimage (5).jpg

I purchased a boat the other day that has a 1992 Mariner 20 hp on it. It seems to be wired for key (electric) start, but for some reason they gave up on the last step (a starter) and said "Hey, lets just pull start it"? I'll give it props, it does pull start like a champ.

It has a side mount control with key, starter solenoid and toothed fly wheel. When you turn the key you can hear the solenoid click. I was wondering if this unit off Amazon would work and what else I might need. I,m new at this so let know if you need more info or pictures. Also do I have to give up the pull start when I transition over to electric start. Thanks in advance!
New Starter Mercury Marine, Mariner, Outboards 9.9-25hp 1985-2001 : Amazon.com : Automotive

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mariner 20 hp Starter Install

Yep that will fit.......and the bolts are metric.

windy5849

Petty Officer 1st Class

If they didn't install an alternator and rectifier,you will have to periodically charge the starting battery.The addition of electric start will not affect the pull start function.

waldensridge

Cadet

image (8).jpgThanks for the help. I put her in the water yesterday and it looks like we are only firing one cylinder. Im planning on compression test, new plugs, wires, coils and maybe switch box - but i'm going to clean leads and change plugs first. I tried to run the S/N (6536594) but I got lost in the maze of #'s and dates. The seller thought it was a 92, but I wanted to run it by you guys before I start buying parts. Also would one of you have a PDF for the service manuel? I found a link for one, but it wont let me print pages. Thanks

waldensridge

Cadet
Re: Mariner 20 hp Starter Install UPDATE

Re: Mariner 20 hp Starter Install UPDATE

Mornin, I got the starter installed and it fired up first try! Thanks again for the help. My buddy is saying I should rebuild the carb...

- Could someone point me to a full carb kit for a Mariner 20hp
- Anyone have a service manual for the engine?

Thanks in advance.