Need help with 1979 Mercury 1150 Skeg Outline

tinmanchris

Seaman Apprentice
So my skeg was shaved off from the previous owner due to damage but I notice that at high speed the boat becomes hard to turn and hard to control. I'm guessing it's due to the fact that I have no skeg. :grumpy:

I've been contacting companies that make bolt on skeg repairs however non of them make one for my motor due to it's age. Skegguard is willing to help me match up on a skeg however they need an outline of the original.

If anyone has the same skeg as mine can you do me a HUGE favor and mail me a trace of the skeg. I will be super grateful!

Thanks!

wired247

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Need help with 1979 Mercury 1150 Skeg Outline

How far is it trimmed?

tinmanchris

Seaman Apprentice

I probably only have one inch worth of space I can drill in to. If not I might have to get it welded. The good news is panther's safe-skeg has all their dimensions online so I might be able to find one that will work for me.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I guess it's a steering fin. Makes sense. What I thought it's primary purpose was to prevent prop damage when you strike an underwater object, or drop your engine on the concrete butt first.

Go to an old Merc site and you can see views of Mercs over the years and get an idea.

Mark

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Likely the torque is caused by the zinc anode not being set to counteract it. A new skeg is not essential for steering, but will protect the prop. I was able to buy one for my Merc 1500 a a Merc Dealer. It is a weld-on item. Get a good welder to do the job.

Alternatively there "skeg-guard" products that bolt on.