Mercury 90hp 6cyl runs in idle but dies in gear

10-E-C

Recruit
Mercury 90hp (1986) 6 cyl runs in idle but dies in gear...took it back to the shop, and still no change. First time out, ran top speed about 45-50mph but hard to start at first. After 30 minutes on the water. It had a problem dying between idle and forward/reverse gear. Took it into the shop, he adjusted the idle, hoping that fixed the problem. Second time out, hard to start but ran in idle. Out of idle and into gear it died every time. Back at the shop again, the carbs were adjusted along with the throttle cable, along with an adjustment to the idle again. Tested the engine at the shop and it seemed fine until I took it out to the water. Third time out, same probs, cold to start but idled fine until put into gear, then it would die. I know the motor runs well and I feel it has to be something simple. Just ordered a manual online in hopes to discover what the mechanic and I are overlooking...any help would be most appreciated, thx...

Laddies

Banned
Re: Mercury 90hp 6cyl runs in idle but dies in gear

Sounds like the engine is lean, the shop is probably not on the lake and does not have a back in test tank, all engines the mixture must be set in the water ( back pressure) in gear (load) for it idle properly.