1983 Mercury 9.8 Won't Start

Smithant

Recruit
I recently picked up a 1983 Mercury 9.8 HP with electric start froma family member who passed away. He bought in new in '83 and the motor has had less than two tanks of gas ran through it and has been sitting for a quite a while. I have the orignal sales recipet and manual. It easily turns with both the pull and the electric start, but I cannot get it to pop. I checked for spark and zapped myself a few times, so inknow it is there. I have taken off the carb and cleaned it. I have also tried to dip the spark plugs in gas and well as putting gas directly down the spark plug hole. I also notice that the spark plugs do not get wet when I try to start the motor and when I hold down the electric start with the choke on, gas comes out of the choke. It seems like no gas is leaving the carb. Any ideas? I would really like to keep this motor in the family.

Smithant

Recruit

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: 1983 Mercury 9.8 Won't Start

If it has been sitting for a really long time, the rings could be dry. one thing that I do with every motor that has sat, including old two strokes is put some light oil in each spark plug hole and manually turn the motor over a few times. I usually use WD 40

if you think the reeds are stuck, pull the carb and look

you can borrow a compression tester from Autozone

Smithant

Recruit
Re: 1983 Mercury 9.8 Won't Start

If it has been sitting for a really long time, the rings could be dry. one thing that I do with every motor that has sat, including old two strokes is put some light oil in each spark plug hole and manually turn the motor over a few times. I usually use WD 40

if you think the reeds are stuck, pull the carb and look

you can borrow a compression tester from Autozone

Thanks for the advice. I will try oiling the rings next. I have pulled the carb of to see if can get to the reed valves, but from what I saw and from online videos it looks like I will need to take off the intake manifold and more, new territory for me. Also, I did notice that when it turns over there is more air blowing out of the carb than there is suction. Could this mean anything?