1995 Mercury 115 has a "rattle" when running in chop or backing off power...

crboggs

Recruit
1995 Mercury 115 has a "rattle" when running in chop or backing off power...

Hey guys...recently picked up a 1995 Mako 181 Flats that a family friend had in storage for years.

Its got a 1995 Mercury 115 on there with about 1000 hours on it. The engine was rebuilt about 20 hours ago, when they started cleaning it up and getting it ready to sell. It can be a little cranky to start, but I'm learning its quirks and am learning how to choke it and get it up and running reliably.

Compression is a consistent 130+ across all four cylinders and it idles nicely and runs like a top on plane. At about 4100 RPM its smooth as butter on a flat or following sea.

BUT...(there's always a but right?)

When I am running into chop or when I come off the throttle in rough water I sometimes here a rattle or chatter. The noise is directly related to "load" on the prop / lower unit. I figure this because I don't hear the chatter at all when the boat is running smooth and "load" is consistent. I also do NOT hear it when idling or flushing the motor with the muffs.

Any thoughts? The engine runs strong and the boat flies but I'm a little disconcerted by this chatter noise I want to identify before I go too far out of my home waters and flats here in the Tampa area.