Oil Reservoir Leak Over Winter On 1995 Mercury Classic

JCH55

Seaman Apprentice
1995 Mercury Classic 4 cyl. Ser# OG194063

My oil reservoir almost completely drained through the oil pump and out the carburetor over the winter.

The motor was in the down position and it appears to be leaking from top carb's throttle linkage.

All the fuel lines look good. no gas leaked, only oil.

Can anyone explain what might have caused this??

Thank you.

JCH55

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Oil Reservoir Leak Over Winter On 1995 Mercury Classic

Any Admiral's or Captain's or other mates have any idea on this??

Laddies

Banned

Either the oil tank vent is not working or the 2# check valve is stuck open

JCH55

Seaman Apprentice

Either the oil tank vent is not working or the 2# check valve is stuck open

Thanks for your reply. Where is the check valve located? Is it in the oil pump?

Laddies

Banned

Follow the fuel line under the cowl it will come to a tee where it meets the oil line, the check valve is in the fitting from the oil pump.

JCH55

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, I've seen that "T" connection. That must be the culprit. I will check and/or replace it next time at lake.

Thanks, Supreme Mariner. Oh, one more item. Just want to make sure that the fuel pump inlet is on the bottom of the pump and the outlet to the gas fitting is connected to the top fitting on the fuel pump. Is that the way you understand it ? or have I got it backwards?

Laddies

Banned

Yes, I should have done this earlier

JCH55

Seaman Apprentice

Great diagram, thank you. It says that the check valve keeps gas out of the oil line.

I'm confused, does the check valve also stop the flow of oil through the system ? or, should not the oil pump itself stop the flow of oil while not running?

Laddies

Banned

It takes 2# pressure to open it and is one way much like a banjo valve on a snowmobile engine to stop the oil from just running thru like yours did. Any gear drive pump will leak by the gears in time.

JCH55

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, Supreme Mariner. I think I got it. So it's either the check valve or the oil pump putting out 2# of pressure opening the valve. That sure would explain why the reservoir slowly emptied over the winter.

I was getting a lot of smoke last year, have you ever heard of the oil pumps over oiling??

Laddies

Banned

If the valve checks OK meaning it does not leak down and holds 2# pressure you will have a tank thats building heat pressure above 2# and forcing oil by the check valve, if that's the problem you can buy a new vent and not have to buy a tank, I know some people that have vented them with a small drill.

JCH55

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, when I was at the cabin last, I looked at the vent and it seemed ok. Although I really did not know what to look for.

as for the 2# of pressure, how would I test that ? or, would it make sense to just replace the valve if I don't have a pressure tester?

JCH55

Seaman Apprentice

ok, I'll try that. Thanks for all your help Supreme Mariner. I really do appreciate it.