1982 Mercury 80 hp stalls out

usaweapon777

Cadet
Hey guys, I have a mercury 80hp serial #:6030986. The boat had sat so the carbs were cleaned and rebuilt. It was then used all season and run dry and put away for a year. Bringing it back out its not running very well usually starting fine, but then sometimes either runs fine for a while then dies, or can't even move the throttle from idle from the getgo. I'm thinking varnish is clogging but looking for others opinions.

P.S anyone know where the fuel filter on this motor is?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1982 Mercury 80 hp stalls out

I think you are right . There is a screen on the fuel pump and should have a filter between the pump and the carbs, Unless of course the P O has changed the system. In the future, I would recommend that you run with stabil or fuel fresh in your system and do not run dry but store with fuel tank full and the whole system full.

usaweapon777

Cadet

I found the fuel filter and pulled it. Unfortunately it seemed pretty clean so my problem must lie elsewhere. I pulled the carbs out and am going to pull them apart and hit them with some carb cleaner. Hopefully that will clean her up. If anyone else has any opinions, they would be appreciated.

usaweapon777

Cadet

well I pulled the carbs and cleaned them out. One looked good the other had some junk in it. If my fuel tank is full of garbage, how can I clean it out. It is not easily removable from the boat.

edit: Do you guys think adding an fuel filter to the fuel line would be a good idea to help filter garbage out before it gets to the engine?

R B

Seaman

well I pulled the carbs and cleaned them out. One looked good the other had some junk in it. If my fuel tank is full of garbage, how can I clean it out. It is not easily removable from the boat.

edit: Do you guys think adding an fuel filter to the fuel line would be a good idea to help filter garbage out before it gets to the engine?
I would not think the fuel tank is full of junk if only one carb was dirty. I recently replaced my fuel lines as I had black debris in my lower carb and when I pulled the lower fuel line, it had debris inside the line.

Lone Duck

If you have a built in fuel tank, it is a very good idea to install a water fuel separator type filter between the tank and your primer bulb. Also check your fuel lines they may be deteriorating inside and need to be replaced. Maybe that is where the junk in the carb came from. Also check your fuel pump screen .

usaweapon777

Cadet

I noticed that along with some of the junk in the one carb there was also a orange thicker fluid in them, what I'm going to assume is varnish. So I ordered an additional fuel filter to run in the fuel line as well as 2 gallons of marine clean to flush the tank out. Hopefully it goes well.

R B

Seaman

Just a simple thought, is the fuel tank vent open?

usaweapon777

Cadet

Yes the fuel tank vent is functioning. well I've had the marine clean in the tank and am going to drain the tank today and get her ready to be fired up again. Does anyone have advice as to how to remove the slight residual water that will be in the tank from the marine clean?

Lone Duck

Yes the fuel tank vent is functioning. well I've had the marine clean in the tank and am going to drain the tank today and get her ready to be fired up again. Does anyone have advice as to how to remove the slight residual water that will be in the tank from the marine clean?
install a fuel water separator .

usaweapon777

Cadet

Alright. Well I drained all the junk out of the tank. It was truly disgusting with 5 gallons of dark brown liquid coming out of the tank. I flushed the tanks 2 times with water and drained the tank as best as I could. I then put in 2 gallons of alcohol to absorb the water and drained that out. Then I disconnected the gas intake pipe from the tank and cleaned that out, as well as blowing air through the lines. Then I replaced the primer ball because the inside of it was deteriorated and put in 12 gallons of gas with oil. Then I rebuilt the fuel pump and added an inline fuel filter. I'm not really sure what to do at this point. The boat starts easy but won't stay running no matter what I try. Most times it will fire right up no problem but every time it dies after a couple seconds.

usaweapon777

Cadet
No Title

I did in fact! the boat had a variety of other issues i worked through last summer. Turns out the tank was full of some sand/silt material. I installed a huge fuel filter to help capture it all while it runs and removed the tiny screen in the fuel pickup tube. I also ended replacing a lot of wiring that had deteriorated and the control box, and some fuel lines. The gear shift lever had to have parts replaced as well. But it was all worth it and shes running pretty good now.