1995 Mercury Classic 4 Cylinder Oil Pump Problem

JCH55

Seaman Apprentice
1995 Mercury Classic 4 Cylinder oil injected 2-stroke 2- carb Serial # OG194063

I feel it is necessary to give a little history in order to keep the posts to a minimum. I will try to be as brief as possible.

Last year, my 1994 Mariner Classic, which I owned for 18 years, needed to be rebuilt and instead of rebuilding, I decided to buy a similar vintage motor and use the old one for replacement parts.

I had a surging problem with the new /used 1995 Mercury. I had recently rebuilt the carbs and fuel pump on the old motor and put them on the new/used 1995 Mercury. It did not solve the problem, so I swapped the Stator. It did not solve the problem, so I swapped the Switch Box. Bingo, problem solved.

The motor ran really well, with one exception, it has a great deal of smoke coming out of the two small exhaust holes in the mid-section. I thought perhaps that the oil pump was over oiling the system.

This spring, I decided to replace the impeller because I wasn't sure when it had been last replaced.

I opened up the cowling and low and behold, almost all of the oil reservoir had leaked out. I checked all the lines, and they appeared good.

The motor was stored in the tilt down position and it looks to me that the oil dripped out of the top carb linkage that connects the throttles of both carbs.

When I tilted the motor up the oil was leaking out of both carb throats.

I never had anything like this happen when I stored the old motor over the 18 years.

Question #1: Should the oil pump have stopped the oil flow when not running? Is the oil pump faulty?

The manual shows that the oil intake is on the bottom port of the oil pump and that the oil is fed to the gas line out the top port on the oil pump.
Question #2: Is the manual correct , or did they get it backwards??

The reason I ask the previous question, is that 1994 Mariner's (old motor) oil pump was hooked up the opposite of what the manual says. Now, I did have it in the shop and they could have gotten it backwards when they put things back together.

Thank You.