1992 Mariner 40 hp not wired to the negative battery post?

gregoryjg

Cadet
I have a 1989 bass tracker pro 17 I bought new 23+ years ago. I lost the motor to a stump in 1994. I had a mechanic replace the motor with a 1992 mariner 40 hp magnum ser. no. 0D237336. there were a lot of loose wires (mainly at the control box, but some in the stern and under the helm) that the mechanic said "some were from old bass tracker motor that are not needed and some from new mariner that are not needed. So, I left it at that.

This year, I decided to do a rebuild and stripped it completely, due to holes in the hull, and rotted decking. I did not remove the motor from the transom. I did remove the wiring harness and throttle cables from the control box and I let them hang off the back of the motor.

Now I am starting to rewire, but have a problem. The negative cable from the battery to the motor looks like it was cut at the motor. So my mariner only has a positive cable from the battery to the bottom of the starter. Is this correct?

My motor doesn't need a negative battery cable go to anywhere in the motor? There is a negative wire from the battery to the control box, then to the motor. but not one directly to the motor like the positive cable.

I want to make sure before I close everything in.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1992 Mariner 40 hp not wired to the negative battery post?

The negative cable from the battery should be bolted to the engine block, Greg. The positive cable bolts to the input side of the starter solenoid.

gregoryjg

Cadet

I have looked on the block. cant find a place for the bolting. I do see where the negative wire from the control box is grounded to the block and from the control box is a negative wire going to the battery. that should do the trick, but just seems weird to me.

can't figure out where to hook up my speedo either. A white tube from my helm. Not a big deal, my loranz tells me the speed, but would like to get everything hooked up properly.

gregoryjg

Cadet

Oops, not the speedo, the water psi

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have looked on the block. cant find a place for the bolting. I do see where the negative wire from the control box is grounded to the block and from the control box is a negative wire going to the battery. that should do the trick, but just seems weird to me.

can't figure out where to hook up my speedo either. A white tube from my helm. Not a big deal, my loranz tells me the speed, but would like to get everything hooked up properly.

Not by a long shot, Greg. The starter draws hundreds of amps. You need a big ground cable to handle starter current.

gregoryjg

Cadet

Im going to look around it again today. probably take pictures.

carholme

Rear Admiral

Your engine s/n comes up as:

MARINER - ( 40 H.P. (1993 ))
Serial No: 0D237336 Model No: 7040412BD

Parts List for model 7040412BD:

40 HP30 JET - Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. Parts Lookup

Service manual p/n: 90-814676R1

If you would like a copy of the manual to help you with the wiring, send me a PM with your email address and I will forward it to you.

In the manual you will see the negative (black) battery cable as item f in Section 2B page 10. It is connected to the bottom starter mount bolt.

Gerry