1999 mercury 150hp shaft alignment after replacing water pump

preadteur

Cadet
Yesterday i replaced the water pump on my 1999 150hp mercury. When I first tried to put the lower unit back in I just was not able to get the shaft splines in the bottom of the engine. Tried rotating the wheel but still was not able..

Look in the hole with a flash light only to discover some kind of a washer that was floating in the hole just before getting to the bottom of the engine. We had to trim the engine almost all the way way down and to use a metal rod to center that washer and align it so we could finally get the shaft in..

I never saw something like that on any of my previous outboards.. Is this normal:confused::confused::confused:

that washer was too big to coming out on the shaft with the lower unit..

Thanks for any answer.

Erick

preadteur

Cadet
Re: 1999 mercury 150hp shaft alignment after replacing water pump

Maybe but i doubt it since it was located lower than the splines receiver to call it like that!!
S/n. 0g937783

Hope it's not something major!!!
This engine has been running smooth since I got it 2 years ago.
Was replacing the water pump as a precaution.

The outboard was fitted with a complete new power head in 2010 and might have 70 hours on it since that.

preadteur

Cadet

hard to say!!!!

Too big(diameter to come down the chanel...

Iam starting to suspect big $$$$$$

Any idea how many hours to take the engine up and look...

carholme

Rear Admiral

The reason I asked about the thickness of the washer, is that the service manual shows that some engines were equipped with a slinger, which is just a very thick rubber washer which fits over the driveshaft and usually sits on top of the water pump.

Do you want the manual or do you have one?

Gerry

preadteur

Cadet

thanks for the offer.. I have the manual..

It's a metal washer and I suspect it's the no 7 on the diagram you sent me!!!!! If it's something else with no big impact I will be blessed..

Guess I will have to take the boat to a mechanic tomorrow and pray for for a good ending!!!

If you ever have an idea on how many hoyrs they take to take to get to that area let me know... Just so I can brace myself...

drtyTshrt

Seaman

I have a new to me 1989 200hp black max. I have never owned a Mercury before. I did as you did changed the water pump as precaution and cam across the washer you describe. I would float around and make getting the shaft in difficult. I took a long rod/stick and applied some grease to the edge of the housing up there and manuvered the washer to center. It helped it stay there. I know what you are describing and would say it is not worthy of a repair shop visit.

preadteur

Cadet

Thanks a lot for the answers..

That is exactly what I did ... The trick with the rod and the grease and got it back in but I am still asking myself where the f"*?&% is that washer coming from?
Has your engine been running good and no problem since you had the same problem with the washer?
I just took the boat to the repair shop and want to make sure it's not something that could get worst and cause big damage to that brand new power head..
will see but for now boat is out of commission and walleye season is on tomorrow!!!!!!!!!

Dukedog

Captain

It came outta tha end of tha crank. It needs ta be there to help with water intrusion between tha crank and driveshaft splines.......

preadteur

Cadet

Ok. Do you mean it's normal that this washer is floating around and not fixed somewhere. If so It's back on the shaft now.

Dukedog

Captain

No, not normal. It presses into tha end of tha crank. Its just a seal. Kinda like a prop shaft seal. Its probably loose but tha driveshaft is going through it into tha crank. Once they come out tha fit is gone. Even it you did get it back into place in tha end of tha crank it will probably come out again when tha gear case is pulled next time, if not sooner..........Only sure fix is a new seal pressed in.

preadteur

Cadet

Ok thanks a lot. The boat is at the outboard doctor now.. Lets just hope it will not be too $$$$$
Will post the results when I get it!!!!!!