Throttle cable will not return to idle/neutral Mariner 150hp Outboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

will1990

Recruit
Hi There, Thanks for having me aboard!

I have a 150hp outboard which needed some fibreglass repair work done. The repairer had to remove the gear and throttle cable from the outboard (not remote control unit) to do the work.

Unfortunately he has returned it and on engine start up I noticed it rev'ed uncontrollably. On further investigation I saw that the idle stop screw connected to the throttle cable was a fair distance from the idle stop plate despite the engine being in neutral.

I ran through the gears and saw that the engine would accelerate but then would not return to the full idle position. It goes int and out of gears absolutely fine and i disconnected both to ensure they were the correct way round.

The only other thought is that there appears to be a fair bit of play in the in the black bit on the throttle cable. Please see what i mean in the video below.

Mariner throttle cable - YouTube

I know this was working correctly before giving it to the fibreglasser so in my mind it must be something to do with the setup, unless he has accidentally broken something...

Anyway apologies for the long post and thanks in advance for any advice on how to get me back out onto the water!!

Cheers,

Will

carholme

Rear Admiral
Re: Throttle cable will not return to idle/neutral Mariner 150hp Outboard

The black end which you are holding in your hand is secured to the inner core wire of the cable and it appears that the lock has loosened and that is what is allowing the play. Don't know which cable you have but where your thumb is contacting the black end, do you see a locking screw? What is your engine s/n?

Gerry

will1990

Recruit

Don't know which cable you have but where your thumb is contacting the black end, do you see a locking screw? What is your engine s/n?

Gerry

Thanks for your help, I am using Merc cables but no I cannot see a locking screw, only the hole where it attaches to the rest of the throttle system.

The black bit looks exactly like this:

http://www.pbsboatstore.com/Shared/Product%20Images/Quicksilver/883719A_-_400.jpg

My S/N is 0D056761

Do you reckon its fix-able or needs replacing?

Thanks again,

Will

carholme

Rear Admiral

Will;

Check your PMs as I am sending you a link to information re the cable ends.

Gerry

aMeyers11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Did anyone ever find a solution to this? I'm having the same issue with my 1986 35 hp Merc. There is some play in the black end of the cable and the idle lever doesnt retun all the way to idle stop screw. I tried adjusting but I havent had any luck

Status
Not open for further replies.