2000 mercury 40hp gas in oil injection tank

kevin11mic

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 2cyl 2stroke mercury 40 hp with oil injection. I noticed today that the level in my oil tank magically rose. Then I opened it up and could smell gas in it. Also I could tell the viscosity wasn't like pure oil. The fuel line was connected and there was pressure in the gas tank so I imagine that is what caused it, but even with pressure in the tank I don't see why gas should get into the oil tank.

Laddies

Banned
Re: 2000 mercury 40hp gas in oil injection tank

When the vent is closed and the tank is heated by the sun there is enough pressure in the tank to overcome the check in the oil system and fuel is pushed into the oil tank, read your owners manual.

kevin11mic

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I remembered I have the mechanics book to the motor after I posted the thread. Its a 2psi check valve inline. My tank is one of the 12 gallon tanks from academy and it dose not have a vent. Its something new for emissions so i just have to remember to disconnect my fuel hose when not in use.

Iceman66

Petty Officer 2nd Class

---------------------------- --------- --------

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I My tank is one of the 12 gallon tanks from academy and it dose not have a vent.

Oh that sounds like a real screamer. EPA really did us a favor on this one.

On vents, I have a plastic tank on my JD lawnmower and one day I noticed it looked funny. In short the hole in the top of the fuel tank cap that was supposed to be open for venting purposes was clogged. So when the engine sucked it collapsed the tank.

Mark