Mariner 48 hp timing?

bplayer405

Cadet
I recently purchased a Mariner 48 HP outboard and it was not running well. It was losing a cylinder at low rpms, weak water stream, and slobbering all over itself at idle. After new plugs and cleaning and adjusting the carbs- found a needle not seating and a golf ball size piece of sponge stuck in the other carb's reed plate- it idled and ran much better. I also put in a water pump kit which cured the low water stream. 670s-02671 is the serial number of my outboard. I found a forum stating the base timing at idle is supposed to be 5 degree btdc so I set my timing there since the factory paint was broken and the setting was changed (it was set at 2 degrees btd). Now the engine idles great and the mixture screw settings are much more pronounced in they're adjustment. Is this the correct setting for my outboard? Also anyone know the exact year this was built? I know its Yamaha and around '79 - '81.

bplayer405

Cadet
Re: Mariner 48 hp timing?

carholme you rock! I was going to post another thread about wot operating rpm and now I don't have to. I downloaded and printed both link pages. Awesome help! Thanks Gerry!