2000 mercury 125 salt water not opti max

riverboy460

Seaman Apprentice
ok so im stumped. heres my issue. I was deployed for 7 months and havent used my 2000 trophy walkaround since last june. i took it out the other day and could not get my boat above 3k rpms would not get to plane speed. took it home sprayed some carb cleaner and sea foam directly into carbs. took the boat back out same day and at first it would do the same thing. I installed a lot of accesories this off season. and removed the throttle assembly off the boat just un bolted the panel its attached to and moved it out of the way so i could have acess to tighen bolts for my new radar arch. so back on to problem i removed the panel again on the water to see if that was a issue with any wires. no. pulled the shift and trottle cables back and majically the boat started to work normaly again. drove about 3 miles and went right back to same condition wont go above 3 k. would kinda try and kick in for a sec then would fall on its face past that point again.

next day aka sat. removed all the carbs did not mess with any settings aka carb 1 and 2 air fuel mixture screws. i removed the float bowl housing and cleaned it out and pulled the pilot jet out of the drain whole of the bowl and cleaned that. found sediments in the number 3 and 4 carb at the bottom where the main jet feeds from. so i cleaned that out sprayed carb cleaner through the jets on carb 3 and 4. 4 was plugged and i freed it up and cleaned it all up. could not get new gaskets but they were not torn all up so i reused them all. put everything back together fired it up on hose and now it runs worse then it did the other day wants to die out after it warms up every now and then it chokes itself out before it stalls it comes right back online. so im stumped i sprayed carb cleaner around all the carbs while it ran to see if it would raise my idle indicating a air leak and it did nothing. the idel seemed higher then normal as well now. ill pulled back on the long arm that rest on the idle set screw and it brought the idle way back down. i think cause it was adjusting the timing wheel as well at same time.

I am begining to wonder if when it was tuned last yr if the carbs were tuned when the carbs were in the same condition plugged up. however the boat ran tip top all last yr no issues before the sitting from deployment. i added pink fuel stabilizer to the 85 gallons in the tank. im stummped.

I recently added a kicker so i had to plum that fuel line into boat. so i added a mercury water fuel seperator since it did not have one. i added a shut off valve on on of the out ports for the kicker fuel. ran all new fuel line from the boat main tank to the water seperator and kicker engine. i dont think this is the issue because when i took the main fuel line off tank and put it directly inline with the main outboard motor to elimate everything else it still ran the same.

please any one chime in if they had the same problems on the 125 merc or know what it might be. I am also thinking a stater issue? or timining?

thanks please help fishing season just started and i wanna get my neighbors out on some fish.

riverboy460

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2000 mercury 125 salt water not opti max

Ohh ya i forgot to mention when i hooked my timing light up to check timing it was at liek 8 degrees at idle not sure if thats normal or not. so im stumped please chime in all the fellow merc mechanics
thanks again