1988 45HP Mercury Classic 50 only works in fast idle

lpzm08

Cadet
This is my first boat and I am trying to do this work myself i have come to a point where I am stumped.

I have a 1988 Mercury 45hp classic fifty serial number :0b306905

My problem is yesterday I had my boat running off a hose fine sounded great was idling great no issues at all I took it to the lake to run it a little bit and when I went to crank it up the motor started then died i double checked everything (gas tank vent, primer bulb, ect.) so i tried turning it again with the choke activated and it turned on and would only stay on while in fast idle for a minute or so then die well i done this a few times and called it a day loaded up and came home

Today I went out to fix this issue and thinking it was probably bad gas or dirty carbs i emptied the fuel put fresh fuel in added some seafoam tried to start it again and it wouldn't start i did notice some fuel leaking out of the bottom carb. when it did start id be using the choke constantly and in fast idle. So i took the carbs off and sprayed them out with some carb cleaner and put it back on tried starting it up and same thing took it a minute to start and when it did i was using the choke and fast idle when i would idle down it would die and not start again. I am not sure if i didnt clean the carbs good enough or if i need to completely rebuild the carbs if it even if the carbs.

Some quick points are the primer bulb stays firm before i turn it on then softens up a little after it is running which i am not sure if this is normal i assume it is because the fuel pump takes over i could be wrong like i said i am a newbie. Second this boat has autoblend which seems to be working fine but i am not sure if that could be a issue the plug look brand new the stator is new i just had the seals in the lower unit and water pump replaced

I am trying to do this work on my own so instructions on how to do certain things would help i am not to familiar with outboards but definitely want to learn and do my own work. I am pretty mechanical so i should pick up instructions pretty good

Any ideas on what could be my issue would be great! Thanks in advance!

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 1988 45HP Mercury Classic 50 only works in fast idle

Check you have spark on all cylinders.
If you do clean the carbs, especially the small channels with a soft wire and carb cleaner