1982 70 hp mercury

shipp13u

Recruit
Hello boaters I finally captured my own boat ....when I got it the motor firedm right up every time now after the winter layover it will only start in full throttle.....Im sur ethat I am due for a tune up but not sure that will fix the problem, may I please get some advice on here to begin I have already purchased a manual, so I am looking forward to getting greasey....thanks ahead of time....

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1982 70 hp mercury

You did not run the carbs dry last fall and now they have varnish in them and will have to be cleaned.

JDusza

Ensign

You can try spraying carb/choke cleaner into the carb fuel inlet to de-gunk the needle valve and seat and spray some into the low speed jets via the carb venturi, but, in all likelihood, a carb tear down, wash (low speed circuit) and rebuild is in your future.
J

Andy_1602

Cadet

I have the same engine. I bought a 1982 Skeeter sportfisherman ss1 bass boat that had been sitting since 1994. I bought for $500.00. Boat had the 1982 70hp mercury on it. First thing I did is replaced the water impeller. Bypassed and plugged the water cooling to the fuel pump (not needed and helps top cylinder cooling), checked voltage at stator, done some rewiring due to bad wires, rebuilt carbs, new plugs and all new fuel lines for alcohol base fuels. Started engine with muffs at house and ran fine. Took to lake and would not start without a short burst of fuel into carbs. Would not plane my boat out and would not idle. I found the problem it was a bad fuel pump diagram. Still hard to start cold. Finally found out these engine don't have a true choke. They have a fuel enrichment valve. So push center button on controls throttle half way down but not to open butterfly's in the carbs. Push key in to choke (butterfly's act as choke) then when engine starts throttle up to speed engine to warm up engine for a few seconds. Mine starts and runs great now. You may have to adjust the carbs a little after engine warms up ( mine is set at 1 -1/4 turns out). I would check for a bad fuel pump diaphragm if only starts wot. To much fuel to air ratio.
Andy