1994 Mercury 40HP, No reverse

Joel K

Seaman Apprentice
Prop won't lock out in reverse, but I think will spin in the proper direction in the water. Just no thrust to move off the trailer. Slight chatter sound when you first move the shifter into reverse that I don't remember hearing prior.
I think it may have happened while removing it from the lake last season. I got it stuck on the trailer and possibly ran too high of RPM trying to get it backed up and settled properly. I've done a shift shaft job a couple times on this engine, and it had a thrust bearing (I think) replaced ten or more years ago at a dealer. Thank you!

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Re: 1994 Mercury 40HP, No reverse

Maybe the clutch dog has being worn out. You could check the drain plug and fluids for excessive metal fragments.
Does forward go ok?

Joel K

Seaman Apprentice

Forward engages and seems perfect. Just a few tiny metal fragments on the drain plug, and the oil that I drained last season had just a barely milky look. Only one other thing I can think to add. I ran it for the first time this season yesterday from a hose in the driveway, and when I looked this morning it has an ounce or two of black oil that had run down from just behind the prop. I've owned this since it was new and don't recall ever seeing that. I'm looking at a Clymer right now for the clutch dog. Are you describing the shape of the clutch itself, or the cross pin, or neither?

R_Woj

Cadet

Hey Joel!

I'm currently facing the same problem as you (but with a '72 blue-band 650). I inherited the motor so I don't know what caused this. I tore apart this winter and found the clutch dogs to be a little worn... so replaced with one from a bone yard. The other cause for concern is the grooves where the clutch dogs catch on the reverse gear. These can wear as well if you leave it too long (and that means buying a new gear).

I'd say open it up and give a look at it! It's not too much work to. Good to get at the seals as well!

Unfortunately after I reassembled (just last nite) seem to have the same problem with reverse... looking for answers. Would like to hear other theories on what is happening!

Bosunsmate

Admiral

It might be called a sliding clutch /ratchet?

Bosunsmate

Admiral

If the bearing retainer nut is broke or isnt done up to spec ( it takes a lot of foot pounds i cant remember the spec but itl be in that manual) it wont engage reverse too

Joel K

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like I will have to start tearing it apart to at least have a look. I got to do an entire rebuild a couple seasons ago on the powerhead. Everything but boring of the cylinders. Had to farm that part out. The weather's been so awful around here that I'm already 2 months behind getting on the lake, so I was hoping for something quick, cheap, and easy. Just my luck, sounds like no.
Thanks!

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Shouldnt be too bad as you say lake, its normally taking the bearing carrier out on a salty thats slow going

Joel K

Seaman Apprentice

I'll absolutely check the nut first. And it is called a sliding cluth in the book. I assume my problem doesn't sound to you at all like a shift shaft problem again? I did that work several seasons ago and honestly can't remember right now what the symtoms were that required that job. Thank you!

Bosunsmate

Admiral

It dosent sound like it but check by turning the shift shaft when you drop the LU to see if it changes things.\

R_Woj

Cadet

Hey Joel,

I just got this feedback from Bill @ Mastertech marine... if you find the clutch is not the problem and the carrier nut is secure here's a few more avenues to investigate:

3 POSSIBILITIES.

1. YOU HAVE THE SHIFT CAM MISLOCATED RE: COUPLING TO POWERHEAD. ITS LIKE STAIR STEPS. IF YOU ARE WORKING OFF THE BACK SIDE IT WON'T WORK CORRRECTLY

2. THERE IS SUFFICIENT WEAR ON THE CAM / SHIFT PIN WHERE IT PUSHES BACK THE CLUTCH DOG THAT IT DOES NOT FULLY ENGAGE

3. SIMILAR WEAR IN THE LINKAGE SO IT DOES NOT ALLOW FULL TRAVEL.

Joel K

Seaman Apprentice

I really appreciate you coming back to this. I'll hopefully have a few minutes to start checking it tomorrow, but probably won't get to really dig into it until the weekend. I'm not seeing your other posts right now, but if you find the solution to your problem, please let me know and I'll do the same if I get mine figured out first.
Good luck.

Joel K

Seaman Apprentice

I haven't solved anything yet, but I did get a look at the reverse and clutch today. It really didn't look too bad. Maybe a Thirtysecond of an inch on the inner teeth, while the outer gears themselves were perfect. But there was enough rounding over on both teeth where they meet that I ordered them both since I had it out. What I haven't figured out yet is why the teeth weren't dropping in.

I'm not smart enough to completly rule anything out, but if the shift cam is mislocated it must have gotten that way on it's own since my problem started while on the lake. I'm going to check the cable adjust closely after putting it back together. That's my only guess so far as to why the gears didn't come together any closer to fully engage. The shift pin you mentioned looks good, and I assume the cam is further back in the unit which I'll look for before re-install.

It'll probably be Monday before the parts arrive and mid week before I'll get another chance to work on it, but I'll be sure to post what I found and how it turns out.

Thank you both!

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Cams at the very front. If you spin the shiftshaft with the prop shaft out you will see it spin.
Check the cam follower which pushes on the cam hasnt snapped but i doubt it
Make sure you get that retainer nut really tight.

R_Woj

Cadet

Cams at the very front. If you spin the shiftshaft with the prop shaft out you will see it spin.
Check the cam follower which pushes on the cam hasnt snapped but i doubt it
Make sure you get that retainer nut really tight.

I second the comment about the retainer nut... This has made the most difference for me.... Reverse still slipping but really tightening that nut has increased the amount of resistance before slippage! I made a tool from a piece of 2" PVC and cut the teeth into it... At the other end I drilled 4 holes so I could use screw drivers to torque....

I'm kind of giving up... Hoping tightening will be enough! I wonder if you could test if it is cam or pin wear by shimming the pin a bit (e.g. Some tinfoil or something behind the cam follower pin to see if that is enough?

To be honest... I think my problem runs deeper than pin or cam wear... Think the driveshaft and fwd gear need to be reshimmed as I have way too much backlash in fwd gear (I was able to remove fwd gear from bearing race without removing pinion gear). This is a job for someone with a press...and maybe too expensive for a 72 3cyl blue band.... Hehe.. Ahh well...

Dunno man... What u think about shimming a little something behind that cam follower pin?

R_Woj

Cadet

Ohh ya.. One more thing... U could try grinding those dogs down a bit instead of going with new?

Joel K

Seaman Apprentice

I was thinking along the same lines as far as making a tool out of plumbing. I priced buying a tool, but at about $80.00 for hopefully just a one time use, I had to balk. I bought a tabbed lock washer to hopefully use for that purpose that goes just on to the inside of the nut since I noticed it had at least three tabs on the inside, I thought I could bend the tabs inside of the nut and at least have something made out of metal to destroy. But your idea sounds much better.
The retainer nut on mine would have had to back off on it's own in order to be my problem and as hard as it was to get started turning I really doubt that happened. If I remember correctly, you don't know the history of your boat so someone before you may have not got it tight enough. Shimming in some way might do in either case it since our problems sound similar.

My dad has more knowledge as far as engines than I'll ever have, and has several people to fall back on if he ever gets stumped. He called a repair guy for me today at a local boat dealer who suggested my likely problem was in the shift cable binding either because of binding from age or possible internal fraying which would limit the travel. That's where I'm leaning at this point since I've also found a service bulletin on cable problems for several models and years besides and including mine since I first posted. Not for fraying, but a critical adjustment. When that possibility was mentioned it reminded me that in this off season I notice the box with my shifter was loose on it's mount by just a tiny bit. So it may be possible that a loose shifter allowed just enough slop in the action or throw of the cable to cause less travel and possibly not fully engage the reverse. You might look your cable travel over really close. It should be easier to tell if that's a possibility if you still have the gears out.

And the thought crossed my mind about cleaning up the edges of the dogs with a Dremel since the damage looked so minor, but I managed to find the clutch and gear on ebay for less than half the going price of boat shops. While I consider myself an above average tinkerer, I may be overestimating myself when it comes to marine problems and decided it wasn't worth risking having to do the job twice or more if I got it wrong. If I did that and still had problems afterwards, it might lead me away from the real or original problem and bring me back to thinking that I didn't get them ground just right.
Ten years younger and I would have probably risked doing that. But then, now I know I'd have at least ten more years to try to get it right. If it was my truck instead of a boat I'd do that. It's much easier for me to walk home than swim home to where I live. (Actually, it would be easiest to snowski home tonight) Almost summer and all I can do is talk boating since it's below freezing in a snowstorm tonight.

Thank you for your help!
Take care.

R_Woj

Cadet

No way! Snow eh? Were are you!!? Feel for you man.

Well, if you've dropped the lower end you can rule out shift cables real quick by trying to put it in gear with the shift-rod... no? I wrapped a rag around mine.. put some vice grips on and turned Counter-clockwise through f/n/R. Once you figure out where they're at, put in in R then try to add a little resistance to the prop while you turn drive shaft... if no slip... then... i'd say cables or linkage! If slip... got to be gearing man!

R_Woj

Cadet

haha... I'm re-reading ur post and am beginning to wonder if we have a different shifting mechanism.

You make a good point about 'tinkering' with boats. Have learned that the hard way a few times sailing without a secondary source of power... can be a long or hairy trip home if something goes!

Joel K

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah, I'm not that worried about it quitting on the lake. If the wind changed direction and blew from every compass point in a day's time, the lake I'm on is small enough that I'd bounce off of every shore within a few hours.
The only major screwup I've ever caused was getting the shift shaft in wrong once. The boat is a 30' pontoon with a large cabin near the back, which mostly serves the purpose of catching a lot of wind and making it hard to tow. It was a very gusty day while trying to put it in the water. I had it idling in reverse and the wind pushed it off the trailer which fooled me into thinking that engine thrust pushed it back. As soon as the boat came off the trailer it starting getting sideways, closer to shore, and squirelly from the wind, so I throttled it harder in reverse (which was actually forward) and ran it into the side corner of my truck. It would have been worse if I hadn't turned the key off just before impact.
That was a real learning experience and a "what the heck just happened moment". And I got to see how fast my Dad who was pushing 80 could still move since he was standing inbetween the two.

No real harm done since it was an old truck and the boat or my Dad wasn't damaged, but getting it back on the trailer in the wind and with the boat in that condition was a real challenge.
Still, that beats the time I had an 18' tri-hull Seasprite run over me in the water many years ago. Only required stitches and staples, but that's something I wouldn't recommend trying to re-inact.

I got about half of my parts in on Friday. If I get the rest on Monday, I should be able to let you know what I find out by Wednesday.