1984 Mercury 18xd no spark

rosentreter

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

Out fishing today and tried to start motor(manual pull start) and no start. I had trolled down river after having killed motor normally with kill switch after putting in neutral. Motor had always started on one pull after being run previously in the day.

I tried to start several times but did not want to waste my pull cord in futility.

I got home on my 6hp trolling motor. When I got it home I checked to see if I was getting spark after removing the plugs and holding up to block and pull starting. No spark on either cylinder.

Is this my coil pack maybe gone bad?

Thank-you.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1984 Mercury 18xd no spark

You need to disconect the kill switch wire from the switchbox an retest for spark to see if the kill switch is the trouble first. After retesting if you still have no spark then test of the stator and trigger need to be done. If they test good then the switchbox would be the trouble. A check at the CDI website you will find just how to do all the test of the electronics.
Technical Support Documents | CDI Electronics
JMO
oldman570

rosentreter

Seaman Apprentice

Okay, I know what switchbox I have now. It is a 339-7452.

I want to disconnect the black/yellow wire coming from the kill switch to switch box correct?

Thanks.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Yep, That be the one to disconnect.
Oldman570

rosentreter

Seaman Apprentice

No spark with it disconnected.

Can I remove the rope pull assembly without the whole thing unraveling on me to look at the stator wires and magnets?

Thanks

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Yes the recoil can be removed wih everything not comming apart. There should be 3 lager screws or bolts that has to be removed. You might have to loosen the mounting of the coils to get the recoil off also. Should be two of the bolts on the front cowl bracket and one centered in the back of the motor. JMO
Oldman570