1974 Mercury Thunderbolt 115hp - Carb Rebuild Instructions

joeywns

Cadet
Hey Guys,

1974 Tahiti w/ Mercury Thunderbolt 115hp (inline 6 cylinder)
Engine Serial #:3949064
Mercarbs: 1368-5036
Quicksilver Carb Rebuild Kit: 1395-5109

Took apart the motor yesterday and pulled the leaky carbs. Purchased the above rebuild kit and plan on rebuilding all 3 today. I was just hoping someone could provide links or vids to some instructions/how to on rebuilding these carbs. I just want to make sure I do everything correct, trying to get it on the water tomorrow. Any suggestions, tips, links/vids you can provide will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1974 Mercury Thunderbolt 115hp - Carb Rebuild Instructions

No big tricks disassemble them and clean them I like the spray cleaner as it won't harm the castings like some soak out cleaners will. Here's how to set the float level.

joeywns

Cadet

Thanks Laddies, that was a huge help.

Update: Got everything back together, started her up and she ran great. Let it run for 30 seconds, turned it off. Waited a few minutes, she started up again and then boom....cylinder head cracked. NO idea how that happened but a friend of mine said that it must have had a freeze issue with it sitting over the winter. Anybody have a used motor for sale? :(

Laddies

Banned

Thats not a cyl head it's a water jacket cover so it's not a real big deal here's a link to look at it. :: iShopMarine.com ::
There are many used ones around and you may be able to repair it with Devcon or simular epoxy product with out taking it apart.

joeywns

Cadet

You may have just made my whole day, I hope that's true! Here is a picture of the crack around spark plug #5. The spark plug actually threads into the cover? Thanks so much for your help already! Excited to know this thing isnt done for.

photo.JPG

Laddies

Banned

Thats a water jacker cover and the plug does not even screw into it there is a gasket between it and the end of the cyl. That one is cracked in a hard place to repair so I would look for a used replacement. Heres one without much looking you should be able to find one cheaper looking around. Mercury Inline 6 Cylinder Block Cover Water Jacket Cover 900 1150 1400 1500 | eBay

joeywns

Cadet

That's great news and thanks for that link! Do you have a link on how to access/remove that cover? Im gonna try and pull it off this morning and buy a new one tomorrow. Thanks!

Laddies

Banned

You have a PM hope it helps