Mercury 75 1984 flywheel / crank rotational play

kgrovesyboy

Recruit
Hi everyone,
I'm probably being paranoid but I've been checking my merc 75 1984 4 cyl engine over today, started it up an it runs great and sounds sweet, but I took the top hood of, when I hold the flywheel then rotate it clockwise then anticlockwise, ie: rotating the crank I can feel a slight bit of play between the two movements back and forth, is this normal?
The engine has no issues just wondered if this is normal?
Thanks
Kev

mercuk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercury 75 1984 flywheel / crank rotational play

Hi everyone,
I'm probably being paranoid but I've been checking my merc 75 1984 4 cyl engine over today, started it up an it runs great and sounds sweet, but I took the top hood of, when I hold the flywheel then rotate it clockwise then anticlockwise, ie: rotating the crank I can feel a slight bit of play between the two movements back and forth, is this normal?
The engine has no issues just wondered if this is normal?
Thanks
Kev

Kev, I rekon your just getting worked up over nothing lol. I've got the same engine and from your describing I would say its normal.
p.s. If you ever need any help with your outboard, I live 20 mins from you and I've rebuilt the that whole engine top to bottom so pretty confident on working with them.
All the best.

kgrovesyboy

Recruit

Hi,
Ok thanks for your help, yeah I'm probably on paranoid streak!
I haven't used the boat yet, bought it and been doing it up so hopefully get out in it over weekend.
Thanks for your offer, if I get any trouble I'll give you a shout if you don't mind, just out of interest did you rebuild yours out of precaution or you have problems with it, hopefully I should get woe good use from mine
Thanks again
Kev

mercuk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Kev, the crank seals and bearings failed on mine. But I knew there was something wrong with it when I first bought it and so wasn't all that bothered about it. Bought the whole boat package quite cheap so kind of expected it really. Apart from that everything else has been all right so far (touches wood lol)

There good engines Kev and I'll think you'll love the power that old inline engine can produce. Pretty pokey engines really. Let me know how you get on. All the best Marc.