1979 Mercury Thunderbolt 80 hp power trim

cschahl

Recruit
I have a problem. My power trim and tilt will go down just fine. It wont go up. The motor has no power to it whatsoever when i push the button to go up. I can short it across the solenoid and the pump will try to pump up but it wont move motor. I need to know what type of oil it takes and where it goes in at on the pump or cylinders. It wont lift up so i need oil. I got told that it could be a wire but i believe that's what the problem is or i could get a new solenoid. I need a wiring diagram of how the wires are supposed to be because there are wires everywhere for the electronics on the boat. By the way the boat this motor is on is a 1980 Pro Craft Fish and Ski 18 or 19 foot.

Thanks, Cody

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 Mercury Thunderbolt 80 hp power trim

Cody, That PTT unit should have a pump unit in the boat. The top right of the unit has a stainless round head screw with a straight slot. Remove it and add 5W-30 motor oil until it is full. See if that helps. There is a bleeding procedure for the cylinders, if necessary.

That motor has a trim limit switch that is in series with the up circuit. If it breaks, and most do, the motor will not trim up. Do you have the three button PTT control, or something else?

cschahl

Recruit
Re: 1979 Mercury Thunderbolt 80 hp power trim

Ok thanks. It's a got a two button switch. Since I can cross I took a set of wires and put the on the big posts of the solenoid and think hook it up to a toggle switch and it works just fine. I may have to end up rewire the whol pump and solenoid. I'm gunna check it out.