1983 Mercury in line 6 115HP water temperature

1buckfan1

Recruit
Just purchased a boat with this motor and I can't seem to locate any kind of thermostate or sensor that would let you know if the motor is overheating. Surely there is one. Can someone tell me where and what to look for?Any advise is appreciated. Thanks

emckelvy

Commander
Re: 1983 Mercury in line 6 115HP water temperature

The inline Sixes had no thermostat. There's a place on the block water jacket cover (over the spark plugs) where you could mount an aftermarket heat sensor, but typically if you lose water pressure, by the time you see an indication of overheating from a temp sensor, the damage has already been done.

A water pressure gage is a quicker-reacting and more accurate indication of cooling system health, and there should be a pipe-thread plug at the water jacket cover you can remove and install a fitting for a gageline.

Here are some water pressure gages/kits for sale here at iboats:

water pressure kit in Boat Parts & Accessories For Your Boat - iboats

Here are some temp gages/kits:

water temperature gauge in Boat Parts & Accessories For Your Boat - iboats

HTH.............ed

1buckfan1

Recruit

Thank you very much sir! The pressure guage sound like the way to go. I will be ordering and installing one. Thanks again.

mr 88

Commander

They do not produce more than 3-6 lbs ,so if possible get a gauge that reads low so you can actually read it.