mercury gasket question

reynold460

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hi guys im rebuilding a 115 hp merc the gaskets i got from mercury have a bead of sealant on them which direction would i install them or doesnt it matter as the sealant is only on one side

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: mercury gasket question

I'm surprised there are reversible in the first place. Not many gaskets are truly reversible... Make sure you can install them either direction or that they are not directional... Sometimes they look reversible but would cover over a hole one way and not the other...

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: mercury gasket question

Well what do you know. So much for the dry gasket buffs. I started my mechanicing career installing dry gaskets. I found that I had fewer problems when using a sealant. Amazing that OEM's have figured that out too. Rant over.

To the answer: I would put the sealant to the side you want to seal. Example 1, the water jacket cover over the heads: Where the spark plugs are located. You want to seal the cooling water so the glue would be toward the cylinders. The service manual shows the application of sealer (before someone put it on the gasket) and it shows it on the block surface meaning what I said...you want to seal the water in.

Ex. 2. Exhaust manifold gaskets: Again you want to seal the water so the sealant would be toward the water passages.

Mark