Kiekhaefer mercury 3.9 steering column stuck!!

mercuk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Says it all in the title really!!!
I've literally just bought this mid 60's vintage Mercury 3.9 hp (very rare here in UK) and the steering column appears to be siezed up. Everything else seems nice an original and as far as I'm aware, has been a fresh water only engine.

Now what I would like to ask you all vintage kiekhaefer people out there is there any little tips you can give me to work this thing loose....
Was thinking try pump some greese through steering column nipple of better still, some thing thinner like diesel or penetrating fluid etc.

That or try and work the tube loose from the top but unfortunately that involves powerhead, tray etc removal to get access to it.

I'm sure there load of people out there that has had this issue before..... Any tips guys???!!

Thanks.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: Kiekhaefer mercury 3.9 steering column stuck!!

The swivel arm is mild steel and prone to rusting if neglected. Pumping grease in may help. Heat will help, too, via a propane torch. Avoid heating the rubber motor mounts too much as you don't want to damage those.

mercuk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The swivel arm is mild steel and prone to rusting if neglected. Pumping grease in may help. Heat will help, too, via a propane torch. Avoid heating the rubber motor mounts too much as you don't want to damage those.

Thanks for the reply Chine walker. Not overly keen on putting heat via propane torch just yet..........
I've just had another look and I managed to get it to move maybe 1/4" so not as bad as first thought......:D

Grease would help agreed but thought something more viscous would help it more that just pumping grease.... Was thinking using an old grease gun and adapting it so I could force some penetrating fluid/diesel through it with pressure through air line etc if you see what I mean.... Figgured the thinner the better so it would disperse around the steel tubular coloumn better than what grease would....

For me personally, heat via propane torch is usually a last resort option....
Either way, I'll let you know how I get on either way and thanks for the input.....:)

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Heat would do two things. First, it will loosen up any existing grease and make it a little more viscous - essentially accomplishing what you're trying to do with the penetrating fluid. Second, the saddle bracket is aluminum, which will expand with the heat, putting some space between it and the tube and allowing it to loosen up. Plus the grease will travel further into newly created gaps.

mercuk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good shout Chinewalker never thought about that!! Will give it a go!!

Many thanks for you help!