opinions and value on 2007 Mercury 50hp?

dirtymike

Seaman Apprentice
I have a chance to buy a 2007 mercury 50 hp with controls and I would like to get some opinions on the motor as far as reliability and what it's worth. The hours are unknown but my guess would be 4-500. I am told it runs good, and was used on a zodiac type boat.

There is a sticker that reads:

Serial number number 1c052368
may 2007
50ELPT 4S
Max rpm 6000
50hp 36.8kw
268lb 113kg

and the lower unit has a sticker on it that reads
12x22
1.83:1

That is all I know about the motor. Are they good motors, and what would a fair price be, low end to high end?

smittylv1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: opinions and value on 2007 Mercury 50hp?

JMHO...not a fan of 4 strokes.....2 stroke will produce more power

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

JMHO...not a fan of 4 strokes.....2 stroke will produce more power

50 HP is 50 HP whether the engine is a two or stroke, two cylinder, three, cylinder or 10 cylinder. The two stroke will perform better out of the hole and slightly better at top end. That does not mean it has more power. It is HOW that power is delivered. Weight, lower unit gearing and prop are all key factors in how power is delivered.

quicktach

Petty Officer 1st Class

You should see how it runs under load in the water and does it idle smoothly and accelerate without hesitation. Four stroke is a heavier motor if that's ok with you. If you decide to buy it, a compression test would be in order before buying. Also check the lower unit oil for any signs of water [milky] or metals [magnet test]. Check the wiring under the cowl for signs of frays, rough or exposed wires, wiring covered with oil. I'd even pull sparkplugs and look inside for build up on pistons and note if the sparkplugs look ok.