CARBURETOR WOES 1967 9.8hp Mercury 110

jwsimmons

Seaman
So, where do I start?

First off, my engine was running poorly so I checked the fuel filter and it was horribly clogged. When I took the filter cover off, I accidentally broke the paper gasket. After realizing how old and brittle the gasket was (probably original), I decided it would be best to put all new filters in the carb. I got a complete gasket set from a marine supplier, and while putting it back together I torqued the float bowl cover too much and I broke it!

I called around and ended up at a old motor junk yard, where they had to dig and dig to find what appeared to be the same float cover on a slightly different carburetor model. I took it home and installed it in my carburetor. Knowing the needle tabs were slightly different I did it anyways, and crossed my fingers. Of course it did not run. It fired and then sputtered until it died (like it was running out of fuel). Could it be possible I just need to adjust the tabs so the needle can feed an adequate amount of fuel through the jet? I tried interchanging the needle, jet screw, tabs, and tab pins but the threading on the jet housings are different between the two float bowl cover parts. I'm hoping to make this one work that I bought from the junkyard, but not sure if that's possible.

Also, with the diss-assembly/assembly of the carb... my fuel line that runs between the inlet and the fuel pump has become severely cracked (not yet leaking). Does anyone know where I can get a new one, or remedy a home creation of one? It is the lower fuel line in the picture.

I have provided pictures of the broken part, as well as a picture of the fuel system I found online which shows the fuel line I need to replace. I will warn you, you are talking to someone with little carburetor experience and has obviously got himself in over his head!!! I appreciate any help you can offer.

Thank you,
Jon

Attachments

• photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 2
  • $(KGrHqJHJE8FCnvfREnfBQvqOl0cP!~~60_57.jpg
    $(KGrHqJHJE8FCnvfREnfBQvqOl0cP!~~60_57.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 3

Laddies

Banned
Re: CARBURETOR WOES 1967 9.8hp Mercury 110

You might want to change the inlet needle as the caps are all the same on the side bowl carbs, here's how to set the float level.

WoodOnWater

Cadet
Re: CARBURETOR WOES 1967 9.8hp Mercury 110

You can go down to the local automotive store and purchase brass barb fittings and new fuel line to replace the old original ones. The fittings are most likely 1/8" NPT and you could go with 1/4" or 5/16" ID fuel line. 5/16" fuel line will fit on a 1/4" barb in case you can get all fittings exactly the same size. A SS hose clamp will seal it up, no problem. An added benefit is that you are replace the old fuel lines with ethanol resistant ones.