1979 mercury 90 hp 2 stroke starting problems

ray 1979

Recruit
issue; carbs rebuilt used listed jets from iboats parts list, compression approx 135psi across cyls. motor hard to start when cold, warm fine. To start cold must use a shot of ether. after that operation is normal. I can use choke until fuel runs out of top & middle carb throats, bottom carb has no choke butterfly. Throttle at different positions no help until I add ether. any IDEAS ??? ps I am mechanically enclined but this issue has me stumped !

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1979 mercury 90 hp 2 stroke starting problems

Hello, Ray.

Welcome to iboats. :)

Don't use ether. It washes out lubrication. Use premix fuel if you have to prime it.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

What made you rebuild them?
Have you checked timing at idle? /lync and synch?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Choke shutters close all the way? If so, maybe starter is not spinning motor fast enough to choke up. Clean battery cables and measure voltage of battery when cranking. Voltage should be about 8.5V under starting load.

ray 1979

Recruit

My first reply to a thread so bear with me, to bosunsmate I will check timing that thought crossed my mind earlier but now I will check it. chris 1956 butterflys are closing fully, now I will check out starter speed, It may be a few days since we are still getting snow in mid april !!! JB good point, I have a squirt bottle with premix in it, now would be a good time to start using it. Thanks for all your inputs I will put em to good use and post the outcome thanks; Ray