1968 mercury 200 20hp stop switch

Rude9109

Recruit
Ok I got a 1968 keakefer 200 20hp motor and the stop switch was broke when I bought. I did find a new switch but when I took off the old switch I noticed that the wires where missing that it would hook up to. It was a broken switch with wires that was just laying in the bottom. I just want to know how I can hook up the new switch. Motor runs great just no way of shutting it off once its started. Any suggestions will help

Rude9109

Recruit
Re: 1968 mercury 200 20hp stop switch

Code:
can I use the 2 wires off the switch and run 1 wire to each side of the points I believe there is 2 , one on each side.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Should be two wires running to a terminal block on the side of the motor. The wires to the block run up into the magneto plate to the points...

Rude9109

Recruit

Should be two wires running to a terminal block on the side of the motor. The wires to the block run up into the magneto plate to the points...

Yes i wired the switch wires to the side of the point blocks and works great thank god , the owner before always used to use the choke to the motor so i know that is not good for the motor so i fixed it the proper way!!

engrkenr

Cadet
Ok I got a 1968 keakefer 200 20hp motor and the stop switch was broke when I bought. I did find a new switch but when I took off the old switch I noticed that the wires where missing that it would hook up to. It was a broken switch with wires that was just laying in the bottom. I just want to know how I can hook up the new switch. Motor runs great just no way of shutting it off once its started. Any suggestions will help

engrkenr

Cadet
Rude9109, I researched the forum for this identical stop switch problem in my 1968 Merc Mdl 60 6Hp motor and found your old question. The posted answers to your question are truncated so I can't read what the complete answers. Do you remember what the solution was? The 2 stator ground leads on my motor are attached separately to the junction block but, how do the 2 wires from the stop switch attach to them? Thanks, engrkenr