Mercury 115 Shift Linkage Issue After Impeller Change

4Winns258

Cadet
Hello to all,

I have a problem here. I just changed the impeller on a 1996 Mercury 115 for the first time. After a little trial and error, I got everything assembled with one slight issue. At first, the prop spun only clockwise in neutral. I read on a few posts about turning the short spline shaft on the gear box with pliers and I was able to find neutral. I mounted the gear box back on the motor with the shifter in neutral. From the shifter without the motor running, I am able to shift in forward (prop spinning freely clockwise), back to neutral (Prop spinning freely both ways), but it is very difficult to shift into reverse and when I do, the prop moves slightly ccw but stops and slightly cw but stops.

What did I do wrong here? Does the short spline shaft on the gear box need to be adjusted slightly? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Laddies

Banned
Re: Mercury 115 Shift Linkage Issue After Impeller Change

In rev the clutch dog is not ramped (tapered) the engine should never be shifted into rev with out it running or someone turning the prop so the gear and clutch dog ramps don't butt and bend the shift shaft, I am sure if someone turns the prop it will shift OK

bruchester

Cadet

Laddies, I'm having a similar problem and hope you might step, by , step it for me. Would be grateful. Have a 73 merc 1150 and needing to re-install lower unit. Marine mechanic says to install in forward, clymer says neutral. Called mechanic back he says foward. so the questions addressed on this forum are all pretty clear except I see no mention of the Cam Dog, Tapered Cam/shift lock cam position when installing.

If i'm correct: looking down on lower unit, w prop shaft facing away, turn shift shaft on lower unit clockwise till resist for forward. Check by turning prop shaft clockwise-should only click that way-right? At this point, what position should the tapered cam dog (if that's the right term), be?

Thanks in advance,

Bruchester.

Laddies

Banned

bruchester, first you should always start your own thread not tack on to someone else's.
scan-1.jpg

bruchester

Cadet

Thanks very much. Will get better at navigating iboats forums. Sorry for the breach of netiquette.
Your info is very helpful.
Bruchester

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes yes yes thank u thank u idk why this isnt in the manuals ??? Very very tricky ughhh thank u !!!