Need help with possible 1971 Mercury 40hp purchase

BonairII

Commander
Going to look at a 1971 Mercury 40hp. Seller says he bought boat/motor together. He started motor and it ran fine, now it won't start. I don't have much more detail than that yet....but I'm hoping he's a dope and it's something simple causing it NOT to run.

What are good compression numbers for these motors? Are these motors decent? Or are they known for having issues? I know nothing about Mercs, so any info would be helpful.

I just plan on getting it running and flipping it for a profit.

I told the seller that the best I would possibly offer(assuming good compression and no water in LU) is $250. Seller is including controls and a fuel can. I probably will only offer $200 though.

BonairII

Commander
Re: Need help with possible 1971 Mercury 40hp purchase

Anyone familiar with this motor?

Laddies

Banned

The 1971 40 HP was called a 400 they have a odd ball ign system that was only used in 70 and 71. Some were average running engines, most were not, there were 2 or 3 updates and several service bulletins for the ign system and it was costly to repair and troublesome when new so after 40 year it probably is not much better.

BonairII

Commander

That's not encouraging news. Sounds like I should pass on it.

Any idea what compression numbers are considered good on this motor?

Talked to seller...he said that the motor started immediately when the PO demoed it for him. I wonder now if an ignition problem is what is causing it to NOT start now.