1989 25hp Mariner Outboard Seal replacement

SteelNuttz

Seaman
So last year I noticed when I bought my boat that there was some foamy looing oily substance dripping off my prop. Being my first boat, I wasn't really sure what it was - but figured it wasn't a big deal. Well, around the end of August I was in the middle of the lake when my motor broke and the gears in my lower unit were junk.

I just bought a used lower unit to fix up my broken pieces, and I also bought the seal kit to go with it since I'm assuming the seals in mine were bad, hence the gear oil being non-existant when we got it home from the lake that day.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? We have the lower unit apart, but other than looking at some diagrams we found, we're not sure if this is a job that we can tackle on our own. Any suggestions would be awesome.

Serial number is: 0C154398

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1989 25hp Mariner Outboard Seal replacement

If you have the unit apart already most of the work is done, changing the seals is easy.

carholme

Rear Admiral

SteelNuttz

Seaman
Re: 1989 25hp Mariner Outboard Seal replacement

Thanks for the replies, I think we're going to try it ourselves, and if we can't figure it out we'll take it to a marine mechanic to put humpty dumpty back together again.