1949 Mercury Kiekhaefer KF-5 - not cooling, impeller is ok, what do I do now?

biglsells

Cadet
I bought this old Mercury to use on my little fishing boat and wanted to get it going before spring. Cleaned the carbs and put gas/oil mix in it and put it in my test barrel and it fired up and ran like a champ, even idled nice and smooth HOWEVER it does not appear to be cooling properly, or at all. There is a little tube coming out under the bottom cylinder and it seems to have a drop of black oily stuff that comes out once in awhile but I don't see any water come from there (what is this tube anyway?) and no water comes out of the exhaust or the little holes in the back of the leg.

I took the prop off and the impeller appears to be in good shape. Took it out and the legs all went straight so I put that all back together.

Any ideas? Do the cooling lines get plugged? If so, how on earth do I clean them?

Thanks in advance,

Lawrence

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1949 Mercury Kiekhaefer KF-5 - not cooling, impeller is ok, what do I do now?

The tube you are looking at is not a telltale for cooling it's a drip tube to keep oil from puddling in the bottom main bearing.

biglsells

Cadet
Re: 1949 Mercury Kiekhaefer KF-5 - not cooling, impeller is ok, what do I do now?

Ok well that little tube is working...

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Most of the water will go out the exhaust outlet, under the AV plate. You should only be getting a very light mist out the back of the motor leg's exhaust relief. Is the motor overheating? Does it get hot enough to sizzle water on the head?

biglsells

Cadet

Well things never fail, the motor tipped over and broke the carb. Anyone know where I can get an AJ23A carb?

biglsells

Cadet

Thanks Gerry - after my post I did a search, found and bought one, once it comes in I can continue with my test to see if this thing is overheating.

biglsells

Cadet

Uhg, I make a living selling things on ebay but never get tired of getting goofed up orders. Ordered that AJ23A carb from ebay and got a carb for something totally different, still waiting for my carb to come in so I can test this little motor.

biglsells

Cadet

OK - Update - Got the correct carb, cleaned it up and got it mounted, started second pull and ran great. After running a couple minutes the jugs were not that hot, I would say warm, and definitely would not sizzle water. Also noticed it spitting water out of the downshaft with exhause so looks like its working great! Thanks for the help everyone!