Mercury 90HP 2 cycle Oil Leak

Troymi

Recruit
I have a 75 HP Mercury and it has been stored for the winter. Just looked at the motor and noted oil was leaking from under the cowling. It is blue in color so probably has something to do with the 2 cycle oil storage system. The motor was not tilted up. If anyone has any suggestions on where to look let me know.

cr2k

Captain
Re: Mercury 90HP 2 cycle Oil Leak

90 or 75? A few things go wrong with these. Either the float switch goes bad and over fills the tank or they crack near the bottom.

Laddies

Banned

The float switch has nothing to do with filling the tank. Check the line connections from the tank to the punp.

Troymi

Recruit

:joyous:Did a preliminary check and found the line connections from the tank to the pump extremely hard and suspect there might be a crack. Will check lines more thoroughly when the weather gets wormer and let you know.

wzarnecki

Recruit

:joyous:Did a preliminary check and found the line connections from the tank to the pump extremely hard and suspect there might be a crack. Will check lines more thoroughly when the weather gets wormer and let you know.

My 90 hp Mariner was leaking fresh oil also. Found Line from oil pump to the gas line was split. 38 cents worth of vinyl tubing and a few clamps saved a possible engine rebuild. I strongly suggest checking all lines on motors over 10 years old.

ib18

Chief Petty Officer

My 90 hp Mariner was leaking fresh oil also. Found Line from oil pump to the gas line was split. 38 cents worth of vinyl tubing and a few clamps saved a possible engine rebuild. I strongly suggest checking all lines on motors over 10 years old.

what size of vinyl tube is it? my 1994 mercury 90hp (oil injected) outboard cracked too.

1/4", 3/16" etc.?

please help

1994 mercury 90hp outboard 2 cycle

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Start your own thread, ib18.

wzarnecki

Recruit

what size of vinyl tube is it? my 1994 mercury 90hp (oil injected) outboard cracked too.

1/4", 3/16" etc.?

please help

1994 mercury 90hp outboard 2 cycle

3/16 is about right. Suggest taking off old line and going to local hardware store for a comparison. Lines are held on with factory installed cable ties. Cut them off, remove line and then reinstall line with fresh ties. Get clear vinyl so you can see line fill with oil after starting engine. Keep RPM down until oil flow is established.