20 hp mariner quits at full throttle

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpz305

Recruit
cleaned carb, checked gas tank air/bulb ok,new plugs, motor still quits on open throttle. help

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: 20 hp mariner quits at full throttle

If your recently cleaned the carb and adjusted idle mixture at an idle you may still be too lean on the idle circuit.

The idle MUST BE set with the motor IN the water, AND while IN gear. The water causes the exhaust back-pressure and in gear places the motor under load, BOTH make the motor demand more idle fuel.

Once adjusted to 'Best Idle Speed' the motor demands even MORE idle fuel to accelerate when the throttle is opened. Two strokes do not have an accelerator pump. Open the idle mixture screw another 1/8 turn and test acceleration in gear, ANY bog, hesitation, lean cough, indicates a need for more idle fuel.

Open the idle fuel just the width of the screwdriver blade slot and retest acceleration in gear.

Repeat to perfection.

Racerxv6

Cadet

I am interested in this as well, My 25 does the same thing at full throttle it runs for about 30-45 seconds then boggs down and then picks back up and runs good, then repeats process. If I go to neutral at this point the motor will dies and can't start for about 30-40 seconds...

Racerxv6

Cadet

I am interested in this as well, My 25 does the same thing at full throttle it runs for about 30-45 seconds then boggs down and then picks back up and runs good, then repeats process. If I go to neutral at this point the motor will dies and can't start for about 30-40 seconds...

the pickup in the tank was replaced and was to long and had a kink in it. Replaced and everything works perfect.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Maybe the fuel pump isn't keeping up with the additional demand for fuel. So check your fuel delivery system. JMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.