2009 mercury optimax 150 issue

dsmith0459

Recruit
I am having a problem with my 2009 Mercury Optimax 150 turning over. I had this issue at the end of the year last year, but I just thought it was my batteries so I changed them out with a larger group 31 battery. I can fish about half the day, everything runs perfect. Then all the sudden when I go to start the motor it acts like I have a dead battery. All I am running is 2 HDS 10's and a hydrowave off that battery, along with my motor. The battery is brand new and is fully charged. I thought it was the small group 24 from the dealership weighing the battery down, but its not.

BCguy1395

Cadet
Re: 2009 mercury optimax 150 issue

Check voltage at battery before starting engine and when engine is running. If the same suspect alternator or fusible link has blown (main fuse between alternator and battery)

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Cllean every connection from the battery to the starter, including grounds.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

And make sure your connections are tight, and I don't mean thumb and finger wingnut tight. Use regular nuts and a wrench.
Also make sure the cable lugs are solidly crimped onto the cable. Seen many a cable with the end loose, or many strands of the cable broken.
If you want good starting power, you must have clean tight connections.

Of course, if your charging system isn't charging, the best/cleanest/tightest terminals and cables aren't going to help.

dsmith0459

Recruit

Everything is tight and cleaned. Something from my motor is pulling to many volts or putting a strain on the motor. Could a bad starter do this or one that is going bad?

quicktach

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is the starter pulling in OK ? Any signs of overheating ? Or smelling like overheating ? Any signs of it binding ? How's the starter solenoid?