1975 Mercury 1500 Stator Question

arrow26

Recruit
Hey Guys! I Have a 1975 Mercury 1500 Inline 6. While replacing the timing belt I removed the stator and the wiring crumbled. Apparently this was the original stator! I purchased a used stator (part #174-4793) for about $100 bucks. The difference is both wires off the replacement Stator yellow. My question is since both wires go into the rectifier,is it possible to hook them up wrong? Currently the wires from the rectifier are still attached. The stator wires will attach to the rectifier wires about 12" down the side of the motor. If possible to wire them backwards, how do i make sur i attach them correctly? Thank you in advance fo your help!

emckelvy

Commander
Re: 1975 Mercury 1500 Stator Question

The stator produces AC voltage so there is no concern about polarity of the 2 wires. You can connect either wire coming from the replacement stator to either connection point for the old stator wires and it'll work fine.

Just be sure to note which terminal the red (+12V) wire hooks to on the rectifier. The terminal should be marked with a "+" sign. You wouldn't want to connect either of the stator wires to that terminal, it'd be a bad thing!

HTH..........ed

rriddle99

Seaman
Re: 1975 Mercury 1500 Stator Question

Hey Guys! I Have a 1975 Mercury 1500 Inline 6. While replacing the timing belt I removed the stator and the wiring crumbled. Apparently this was the original stator! I purchased a used stator (part #174-4793) for about $100 bucks. The difference is both wires off the replacement Stator yellow. My question is since both wires go into the rectifier,is it possible to hook them up wrong? Currently the wires from the rectifier are still attached. The stator wires will attach to the rectifier wires about 12" down the side of the motor. If possible to wire them backwards, how do i make sur i attach them correctly? Thank you in advance fo your help!

Where did you get one for $100? I need one now and cant find them for under 230.