Mercury 800, broken swivel assembly shaft HELP!

Petty Officer 1st Class
I decided I'm going to keep my 80hp instead of upsizing to a 115. I have to take apart the swivel bracket assembly because something in there is loose or broken. I see a big ring sitting on the bottom on the shaft that is loose, or broke off from somewhere and the motor is able to be pushed back and forth by hand, just moving inside the assembly there. I was told this could be a big job just to get access in there, I would have to remove the powerhead, is this true? Is there any way I can get this replaced without butchering the motor? I have the motor already removed and mounted on a stand, any help??

Here you can see that ring just sitting there loose..

image (2).jpgimage (3).jpgimage.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercury 800, broken swivel assembly shaft HELP!

I decided I'm going to keep my 80hp instead of upsizing to a 115. I have to take apart the swivel bracket assembly because something in there is loose or broken. I see a big ring sitting on the bottom on the shaft that is loose, or broke off from somewhere and the motor is able to be pushed back and forth by hand, just moving inside the assembly there. I was told this could be a big job just to get access in there, I would have to remove the powerhead, is this true? Is there any way I can get this replaced without butchering the motor? I have the motor already removed and mounted on a stand, any help??

Here you can see that ring just sitting there loose..

View attachment 185965View attachment 185966View attachment 185967

Ayuh,.... That be True,... No need to Butcher the motor, but it has to be taken apart to fix it...

There's a big bushin' that goes in the bottom of the tube...

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Bondo

So do I have to make a stand to raise the motor holding it up with chain from the power head? I have the motor off on a stand with wheels right now so I can move it around easily. This is my first time attempting this but I am somewhat mechanically inclined lol, I just need some guidance! Thanks for the response by the way!

carholme

Rear Admiral

If your engine is a 1978 as indicated in your previous posts, here is the parts listing:

MERC 80 - Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. Parts Lookup

If you look under SWIVEL BRACKET ASSEMBLY MERC 80, this is the item you are trying to remove. Ring, item 15 is the one you are talking about in your post, # 1.

The engine has to be lifted off (done on the present stand you are using) then bolts, item 17 under SWIVEL BRACKET ASSEMBLY MERC 80 can be removed as well as mount bolts, item 23 under DRIVE SHAFT HOUSING ASSEMBLY MERC 80.

Do you have the s/n of your engine?

Gerry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gerry:

Yes it's the same motor, serial number 7111080. So then you've seen the stand it's on now, right?

Ok so from what I understanding:

1) I will build a crane/hoist and position it over the motor on the stand it's on now, right?

2) undo all the powerhead bolts to seperate it from the main body/midsection/lower unit.

3) fasten the hoist to the powerhead and raise it up seperating it from the motors main body/mid section.

Then I can do the rest at this point, correct?? Or did I miss something lol..

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gerry for some reason I cannot view that site on my phone, but I can this one which sounds like it shows the same diagram?

At wwwDOTboatsDOTnet then go to mercury then 800/80hp then 7111080 and viola, I see the diagrams.. So do I have to hoist the motor up BEFORE I undo the bolts?

carholme

Rear Admiral

Yes, that is all correct except that when you get the engine loose, two guys can lift it off the rest of the engine. However if you have a hoist, all the better.

The service manual for your engine is 90-86134--4 but I don't see any on ebay at the moment.

Gerry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gerry:

I think I'm gonna make a hoist because it'll be easier to put the motor back on the boat.. We needed 4 guys just to get it off, maybe 5 to put it back on lol... A hoist can make it so much easier!

I picked up a manual from SELOC and I see the diagrams in here now, but nothing about the swivel bracket assembly... Oh well I guess you can't have it all? Thanks for all your help, God bless!

Nick