1972 or 76? mercury 1150 rebuild

Vision91

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So i decided to do a rebuild on the ole girl since i have nothing else to do.. the serial number is 4394897 which i was told is a 1972 from one guy then looking around at other webistes it comes up as a 76 so im not sure which one it is exactly. my plan is to take the block off and replace all the seals, gaskets and anything else that might need to be redone.. since this is my first time doin something like this on my own im looking for any input that might help. as of right now im in the tear down process and i have the shift linkage off the throttle cable off and all the wiring plus the 8 bolts. In the process i decided to look inside where the water gets circulated to see what it looks like and while taking off the cover i snapped two bolts off:mad-new: not to happy about that. i will upload some pics here shortly when the weather gets a little better its a little cold and we are in a lake effect storm. also while taking off the cap to the rotor i noticed the wire that goes to ignition coil was burned and came off so i ordered new plug wire kit..im looking at sand blasting the powerhead to a clean surface but not sure which sand to use. stay tuned ill post pics and status of the rebuild

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1972 or 76? mercury 1150 rebuild

yikes on the bolts easy easy does it lol !!! please post pics soon !!! id like to see it love them old tower powers !! take lots of pics it will help in reassemble label everything and where it goes u never know how long it will be apart or what ull run into?? since we diyers dont do it all the time we need remindrs u will forget trust me !!! ..take notes if u have to ,and take ur time i always have trouble with this one but try !!!!dnt work on it when ur tired ....good lluckkkk

Vision91

Petty Officer 3rd Class

100_0012.jpg100_0013.jpg100_0014.jpg100_0015.jpg100_0016.jpgok thanks carholme that will help a lot when ordering new parts....have to save that website might come in handy down the road...anyhow here are some pics that i just took.. the pic of the cap is what it looks like inside..not sure if its good still, looks fine to me but brand new never hurts.. the switch box does need replacing as you can see in the pic the plastic around the terminals are shot. as for the stator wiring my dad took it to work and replaced the wires. the main wiring harness was also redone in the process.

Vision91

Petty Officer 3rd Class

100_0022.jpg100_0019.jpg100_0017.jpg100_0018.jpg100_0021.jpg had to resize these pics i guess there is a limit size...as for the bolts i barely turned them and they snapped right away

mercurymang

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you snapped bolts off of the exhaust water jacket, I feel your pain. I tried for several weeks to get them out. Soaking, heating, big tools.... nothing would budge the three i busted off. Mine was worst case scenario though and you may not have the same problem. In the end, I pulled the powerhead and took it to the machine shop and had them install helicoils on them. Better than new.

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

sure is a good tool id think it will come out ok since u had it turning ...let us know how it goes ???? sure is a nice motr though cant wait to see it done shell run a while !!! lluv these merc man u cant beat em !!!

mercurymang

Get some pbblaster and soak it good. After it soaks a while, try to tighten it first then loosen it then again back and forth. If it did turn on you before it broke, I would think you should be able to get it out.

Vision91

Petty Officer 3rd Class

IMG_0024.jpgIMG_0025.jpgIMG_0026.jpgIMG_0028.jpgIMG_0029.jpg

heres a quick update on her.. i have the gaskets kits, trim pump, and a few other supplies on order and should arive around tuesday maybe wednesday at the lastest. also waiting on that stud remover to come in at sears, and also for my buddy to get his cherry picker over here to pull the powerhead so i can work on a bench and not the back of the boat. i attached some pics of what i did today. i have the carbs off, starter, both covers on each side of the powerhead to see what it looks like inside do have a couple questions on it. in one pic of the piston it looks there is scoring on the piston and was wondering if that is goin to b an issue or not. the pic of the belt is what the grooves look like, also the belt is pretty loose are they suppose to be, i can push it in about 1/2 in or so. i have all the parts laid out on the back of my boat and made a video of which is what for later just in case. theres a lot of carbon build up which looks normal nothing to serious. whoever owned this beast before me didnt take to good of care for it..its ashame

Vision91

Petty Officer 3rd Class

how do you find out which carbs you have..are there any markings on them to identify them..i need to get a complete rebuild kit and not sure which one to go with

justchecking

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cool, good luck on your rebuild. It also helps to put everything in gallon baggies and label them. My rebuild started over a year ago, and then I took a year break (kids!). I'm glad I took the pics and baggied.

emckelvy

Commander

Looks bad on the intake side of that one piston; the exhaust side will be worse. Likely you're gonna have to get that cylinder bored out for a new oversized piston.

You'll know more once you split the cases and pull the rotating assy out of the block..........ed

Vision91

Petty Officer 3rd Class

so i finally got the powerhead off decided not to wait on my friend to bring the cherry picker over and just do it myself which wasnt that hard..it was lighter than i expected. while i had it off i was looking around on it and noticed that there was a bolt broken off on the exhaust side of the engine..dont think it will b an issue since its only one bolt but ill still see if i can get it out. still waiting on my parts to come from ups should b another day or so im thinking its inroute. learning quite a bit about this engine since i started and will help in the long run. ill get some pics in the morning and post them..stay tuned

Vision91

Petty Officer 3rd Class

sry its been a few days since i posted anything on here been busy... anyhow i have the powerhead rebuilt already and put back together..i didnt take any pics cause my camera stopped working on me. im just waiting for warmer weather to take it to the lake and test her out and make sure she runs right. i did manage to find a salvage yard with 100s of boat engines so i managed to get a new cap for around 40 dollars. ill b making multiple trips back there for parts in the future they have lots of 1150 parts for at least ten yrs or more. when i take it to the lake ill video it and post a link to it. o and on another note i finally found a local welding shop to weld my lower unit part back on..happy about that. i did learn quite a bit about this engine in the process which will help in the long run. also made new spark plug wires which took a while since i couldnt find the crimper for the end parts. now the next project is to do the floor and carpet in the boat which i might wait till next yr to do.

mercurymang

Hey, very cool Vision. Looking forward to seeing your video.

brnschoneck

Petty Officer 1st Class

where are u located and where did u find the parts ??"name and number maybe adress ??? do they ship ??? some of us may be able to use them im getting ready to rebuild another 65 65hp i found on cl for 150.oo idk what shape shes in looks ok ill make a thread next week after i go look at it so i was wondering ??? TYou can never have too many parts places .

Vision91

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I live in michigan and found all the parts at a marine salvage yard called HILDEBRAND and they are located in coldwater, mi. I dont have an address for them at the moment i do know its located on S Fremont rd. Once i get the address ill post it. number is 517-238-2828.. dont know if they ship i would believe they would but id dunno didnt ask. They do have inboards, outboards, snowmobiles, sea doos, and misc parts... the owner did say they had boats but got out of the buisness since it cost too much to cut them up. If your goin to buy and rebuild that 65 hp and it is a merc they have o about 100 of them when i walked through the lot. i think there is a website Hildebrand's See Doo Clinic

Vision91

Petty Officer 3rd Class

so i did manage to take the boat down to the lake and test her..no i didnt take video was having issues not to happy about it didnt run right at all i think i got the timing off a little so im goin to wait for a friend to come over that rebuilds boat engines and take a look..after i got back home i took the plugs out and checked them 1,2,3,5,and 6 looked like it was running rich, but plug number 4 looked like whats in the picIMG_0080.jpg i hope this isnt something serious if so im screwed...smh