Mercury wiring diagram

kshoemaker

Recruit
I'm refinishing a pontoon and will be wiring her up shortly. I put together this diagram in an effort to plan rather than react. My motor only has a temp alarm wire so the temp gauge isn't relevant, but I included it cause that wire in actually in the harness. I'm running black/red for power and ground even though it isn't shown like that yet in the picture. The red also goes to the breaker panel before any accessory switches.

Wiring.jpg

Not sure why the image is so small. If someone has a way to keep the original image size please let me know.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mercury wiring diagram

So, what's your question? Additionally, running the same color for + and - is a very bad idea. Ground (-) is black. Power could be red, purple, or red or purple striped with different colors for different functions. Red is usually battery hot whereas purple is switched, by the ignition switch, power.

Mark

Laddies

Banned

Power for the engine harness should never come from a power harness for the rest of the boat, it should be ran separate in a engine only harness so a short in the boat harness will not cause engine failure.

kshoemaker

Recruit

So, what's your question? Additionally, running the same color for + and - is a very bad idea. Ground (-) is black. Power could be red, purple, or red or purple striped with different colors for different functions. Red is usually battery hot whereas purple is switched, by the ignition switch, power.

Mark

Power for the engine harness should never come from a power harness for the rest of the boat, it should be ran separate in a engine only harness so a short in the boat harness will not cause engine failure.

No specific questions, just asking for feedback. Thanks for your time and suggestions.

View attachment Wiring v02.pdf