Mercury 1983 (?) 40hp - no steering included, what should I get?

tcampbell011

Seaman
Howdy everyone, I am re-doing a boat and it is completely bare. I bought this 40hp motor to put on the boat. I have no steering wheel, or steering cable. (I do have the throttle and ignition)

Could anyone tell me what I need to get in order to have a complete steering system? I would like to use the uFlex steering if possible.

Thanks!!

photo.jpg

RedBill

Cadet
Re: Mercury 1983 (?) 40hp - no steering included, what should I get?

I have the same exact motor, and the same situation. Did you ever find out what kind of steering will work for this? Thanks!

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer

On my 50 HP Merc, that steering rod goes away and the cable mounts to that point with a little bracket. There is a bracket that mounts to the transom and extends up over the splash well to hold the cable in place... that's all there is to it. Run the cable up under the gunwale and 90 it into a helm. My cable is a Teleflex and the bracket in the link below. The cable clamps inside this thing and the rest extends to the tab on the motor.

Teleflex Clamp Block Kit #SA27055P.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sorry Hotrod, keep the steering arm. The new steering cable goes through the tilt tube and hooks up to it. No need for a clamp block.

TC - get one of these Uflex ROTECH Kits.

Comes with a steering wheel and the cost is just about the best on the Web. The clamp block costs over half what one of the Rotech kits cost.

RedBill

Cadet

Thanks GA. One more question, I have a 1965 Starcraft that looks a lot like the one in your signature. My boat had the old steering with the pully system and Wire coils. Will I need to get a new steering wheel as well, or will one of the kits you mentioned work with the old wheel? I guess I'm just curious as to how your have your boat set up since ours are similar. Thanks!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The kits I linked to include a wheel. If you have a dash board tray across the bottom you will need to get one of these to allow the wheel to clear the tray. UFLEX X-35 20 DEGREE BEZEL KIT

On my Starcraft I still have the cable/pulley system. For originality - for now anyway.