kill switch for a Mercury 150 EFI 2003

copsandcons

Recruit
I have been trouble shooting the motor, with no like. While staring at the boat today I noticed that the kill switch under the key wasn't completely over the push pin. When I pushed the kill switch completely in place the pin was then completely depressed. The motor would run before and not sure if that partly depressed pin would have any effect on the way it was running. anyone have any thougths

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: kill switch for a Mercury 150 EFI 2003

If the kill switch clip will not push the button all the way down as it should, it can cause troubles when the motor is running. The plastic clips will go bad from the UV rays of the sun if left exposed and will loose strenght and brake over time. New replacement clips can be bought at most dealers and fishing supply stores at times. If the clip is turning color from bright red to a milky state, then it would be best to find a replacement or two. The kill switch should be tested every so often to ensure that it will do its job as it should. I always pull the kill switch to kill the motor when the boat is on the trailor and then turn the ing. switch off before pulling the boat and trailor out of the water. JMO
Oldman570