Mercury Thunderbolt? 30hp?? 1963???

neilmc33

Cadet
:confused:Hello!

I just bought what I was told was a 1963 Mercury Thunderbolt 300, a 30hp?. It's not like any other Merc I've seen; it's not all black, I've seen them in red, but this one has for the cover, a black top, a shiny silver middle, and then back to black again. It says "Mercury, engine by Thunderbolt". The guy says Merc made these in 1961, 2, 3, and he's positive this one is a 63.

I was going on the web to try to find a manual for it, and nothing. Even here in the iboat site, the earliest Merc manual is 1965. I see all sorts of stuff for Merc Thunderbolts, but they're all much higher HP, and most are 70s.

Have I just bought something that wierd? I had the guy hook it up to a battery, and the starter did take off. He offered to try to start it with gas, but I declined. He said it was his dad's for years, it sat for 3, his uncle used it for 2, and now it's sat for another 2. I didn't even want/need to hear it run - even if it did, it would run like cr@p for sitting. ANd he's not sure if his uncle drained the oil out of the lower unit anyway.

It sure is a good looking thing! All the controls are there, and although haven't got into it that much, it looks like an electric shift! All the guy could tell me was that he'd a BUNCH of calls, because he said that there was something about this model that makes it easier than most to "soup" up bacause of "all the metal in it". Sounds wierd to me - I don't want it to do anything more than it is - all I want is something to push my 14' 1957 Lonestar across a couple of miles of bay to go from launch to creek to fish :) And is easier to start than my old manual 20hp Evinruder - getting tooooo old to pull start a big old motor. So, once I heard it "try", I forked over his bottom-line $200.

Can anyone tell me anything about it? Or know where I can get a manual?

Thanks very much in advance for any help you can give me!

neil

neilmc33

Cadet
Re: Mercury Thunderbolt? 30hp?? 1963???

Actuallty, I typo'd it - what I have now is a 28hp Evinrude, so although not much more HP, I'm looking forward to just turning a key to start, rather than oomphing a whole bunch of times... :D

carholme

Rear Admiral

Do you have the s/n of the engine?

Gerry

neilmc33

Cadet

Do you have the s/n of the engine?

Gerry

Good Morning Gerry! Thankis very much for answering...

I went over that engine last night with a trouble-light, spent a BUNCH of time, and can't find a serial anywhere. My 28 Evinrude, you take the cover off, and the plate is right there. Not on this one.

The interesting part is that middle shiny metal part unclips at the frount with 2 tension locks. The top Black part stays on - not sure what it's attached to yet, but it definitely looks to be part of the engine itself, not just a canopy. There is a choke knob on the frount of it at the top, rounded at the top so way bigger than the hole, so that tells me that top is NOT supposed to come off "easily".

I did try to take pics this morning, but it wouldn't even let me take one - the batteries died, so I will put in new ones, and take more tonight. I'm not used to Merc engines - all I've ever owned is my 6hp. I've stuck with Evinrudes. But this one looks different than any engine I've ever owned :-{ And man, let me tell you: That thing is HEAVY!!!

neil

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The Merc 300 was one of the last of the 40-cube Merc lineage that started in 1949 with the KF9 25hp. Your motor is a 1960 model year - only year they made the 300. It is actually rated at 35hp, but in practice is closer to 40 - the same as it's virtual twins, the earlier Mark 55 up to 1958 and 1959 Mark 35A.

I should be mostly white, with a black trim band on the wrap.

Lots of info at www.oldmercs.com and an old Mercs-only forum at www.johnsoldmercurysite.com .

The top cowling is bolted on. Four studs with nuts, plus the choke knob, and it should come off. If it's an electric start model, you'll need to unclip the choke solenoid wire, too. Keep track of any shims on the studs, as they NEED to be there.

The manual to get is the Mercury published 1965 and Prior manual - the bible for Old Merc aficionados. They can be found at OldMercs, as well as frequently on eBay.

Good luck! They're GREAT running motors - I have several similar Merc 4-holers in my collection...

neilmc33

Cadet

The Merc 300 was one of the last of the 40-cube Merc lineage that started in 1949 with the KF9 25hp. Your motor is a 1960 model year - only year they made the 300. It is actually rated at 35hp, but in practice is closer to 40 - the same as it's virtual twins, the earlier Mark 55 up to 1958 and 1959 Mark 35A.
I should be mostly white, with a black trim band on the wrap.
Lots of info at www.oldmercs.com and an old Mercs-only forum at www.johnsoldmercurysite.com .
Good luck! They're GREAT running motors - I have several similar Merc 4-holers in my collection...

WooHoo! Thanks very much! I haven't checked out the website yet, but will, and I will DEFINITELY order a manual. It's interesting you say that the motor is mostly white. This motor is definitely Merc black, top and lower unit, with shiny aluminum in between. I wonder if I have the red-headed step-child model. Right now, I have no intention at all of pulling it apart - "I'm of the if it ain't broke don't fix it family". My boat is still in the back yard, tarped over, with snow halfway up. Once that's freed-up, I''l put this on the back and go from there. There are no clamps to it, the guy said his uncle bolted it right to the transom, so I'll probably have to do the same thing.

The only thing the guy said to definitely make sure to check was lube in the lower unit. He thinks his uncle drained it, but isn't sure...

I have looked all over that thing, and I just cannot find a serial. Oh well, it may pop out one it's mounted. I did take some pics that I am going to TRY to upload, but that rarely works for me :-{

THANKS VERY MUCH for the info!

neil

Attachments

• 000_0045.jpg
    000_0045.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 000_0040.jpg
    000_0040.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 000_0041.jpg
    000_0041.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 000_0042.jpg
    000_0042.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 000_0043.jpg
    000_0043.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 1

neilmc33

Cadet

Now I'm getting nervous again :) I checked out the website, and like you said, it should be white. And this definitely doesn't look, to me, anyway, painted... Why would someone paint it anyway? The while would be COOL!