2001 Mercury 125 saltwater series Help!

codym_19

Recruit
i have a 2001 Merc 125 SW series engine. i just bought the boat the engine starts up but does not want to idle i no they idle rough but this one dies out maybe air to fuel? carb? not to sure. and when we finally are able to get the boat into gear its very low rpms and the boat will not go over 10mph please help me out if you have any idea on what this could be im new to the marine mechanics and would like to learn about my engine if you have any reference on what i could look at to learn my engine please let me no thank you.

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2001 Mercury 125 saltwater series Help!

The first thing you should do is get a manufactures service manual for the motor so while working on it you can look up most every answer if you have a question while doing the work. He is a link to a online manual for your motor; Boatinfo - Mercury Service Manual for 75--90-100-115-125 hp
A manufactures manual can be bought at most dealers or by going to Mercur Marine online and contacting them for one. The main reason I recommend the manual is because there are several things that can cause your trouble and they need to be checked over one system at a time. A compression test should be one that is done first and then you can move on to the others, electrical then fuel. If the compression is good then a spark test should be next. It could be a bad switchbox ,stator, triger, or a few others causing the trouble.
Sometimes it is best to cheaper and easier to take it to a dealer with factory certified tech as they have the equipment to hook up to a program on a computor and it will tell just what is causing the trouble. The newer motors are equipited with a ECM, much like the new cars are today. Not sure if yours is but there is a possiabilty that it is. JMO
Oldman570