1987 Mariner 90 horse (starts out of water but when in water has trouble starting)

megtymarn

Cadet
My 1987 2 stoke Mariner 90 Horse outboard motor starts fine in my driveway when out of the water. When I go down to the launch and put boat in the water it has a tough time starting. it does eventually start after about 5 to 20 cranks (which is draining on the battery) This is not the big problem though? When I engage throttle from neutral to forward engine bogs and stalls out. There is a fine line from neutral to forward at just the right revs for it to stay running in drive. I have heard raising the idle can slove this but am a little concerned about chunking into drive. (can`t be good for motor or leg) A little history about motor has been totally rebuilt right down to the block.(was getting a white paste on the end of my plugs had leaky water jacket) Motor is a 6 cly inline think they call it the tower of power. When boat is up and running she flys through the water and sounds smooth just have a tough time getting away from the dock. Someone at the Boat show told me it was my Reeds valves. Could this be my problem.

Thanks Dave