Removing crank bearings from inline 6?

DirtyOldBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1973 Mercury 1500 that seized up and I'm trying to salvage what I can. I pulled the crank but I can't figure out how to remove the main bearings and the end cap under the flywheel. What am I missing? I want to see if the journals are usable...

crank.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Removing crank bearings from inline 6?

Should be a snap ring to be removed and then you need to have it pressed off

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Link to exploaded view of crank and parts;
Mercury, Mercruiser, Force, etc. - CRANKSHAFT, PISTONS AND CONNECTING RODS - MERC 115
Item 11 in view is the snap rings that have to be removed for the main bearings and the end bearings have to be pressed off. When removing the mains it is best to mark each of them and have a catch pan under them to catch any needles that fall out. Keep all parts of each bearing seperate from one another as they can be reused if found in good shape.
Oldman570

DirtyOldBoat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alright, I finally got all the stuff off. Does this crank look usable? I was surprised to find there were no needles under the reed blocks...how does this bearing work? The journals under the reed blocks are somewhat scored. Does that mean it's trash?

Attachments

• crank1.jpg
    crank1.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 1
  • crank2.jpg
    crank2.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 1
  • crank3.jpg
    crank3.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 1
  • crank4.jpg
    crank4.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 1
  • crank5.jpg
    crank5.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 0

I just bought one of these and I'll be doing a rebuild soon. I have n experience on outboards however on two stroke motorcycle engines ine between the cylinders is a labrynth seal. I image that is what you have there. Whether it also functions as a bearing I won't know until I open mine but if there were no rollers I'd say it was a seal.

merc850

Commander

For everyone who doesn't have the manual
crank-condition.jpg
I think the con-rod in the last picture is bad.

Merc 850 - Which manual is that from? I bought one on line that claims to be a Mercury manual but it doesn't have the front cover in the file so I don't know who published it. It doesn't have diagrams like that in it.
Dirty old boat - Looking at that diagram there are only three main bearings on the crank and the others are reeds with I assume some sort of seal that runs on the crankshaft to keep the charge in the crankcase before it it pushed up into the cylinder. I reckon those line on the shaft are from the seal and that it's ok to look like that there.

merc850

Commander

That's the '75 thru '78 Mercury man. sometimes it's for sale on ebay on disk or the paper version.
Those a labyrinth seal maks and can be polished out with 320 grit carborundum cloth however the rod journal in pic 5 looks like it's flaking - NG.