1993 75hp Mercury outboard power pack

leroyahayden

Recruit
I have a 1993 75 hp Mercury. I am being billed for 3 hours labor from two technicians (6 hours total) for determining that the power pack needed to be replaced. This appears to be a maximun 1 hour exercise by 1 qualified technician. Also the company wanted to charge an additional 2 hours for both technicians to install the power pack. This appears to be a 20-30 minute job for one person. What would be reasonable times?

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1993 75hp Mercury outboard power pack

Depending on what the motor was doing when you took it there will make a diffrance to locate the trouble at times. A cirtified Merc Tech should be able to do the job fairly quickly. Most charged per hour depends on your location and around here they get around $80 per hr. # hours should be enought time for one tech to find the trouble. It only takes 1 tech a hour to replace the switchbox and test the motor. This is Just My Opion and I've worked on motors for 20+ years.
Oldman570

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer

Agree with oldman...you are being over charged...there is a quick stator and trigger test that shouldn't take 30 minutes to determine if those parts are good or bad... I keep new switch boxes in the garage and it takes 20 minutes to do a swap as sometimes I am fooled thinking it is the switch box and turns out to be a stator which are very prone to go out on Mercury outboards...Labor rate in California $125 per....you have to learn to work on them yourself or go broke...Lastly, you can't throw electrical parts at these motors as you can spend $600 real quick on stator, trigger and switch box and then add another $200 for second switch box if it is a 6 cylinder...good luck

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Depending on what the motor was doing when you took it there will make a diffrance to locate the trouble at times. A cirtified Merc Tech should be able to do the job fairly quickly. Most charged per hour depends on your location and around here they get around $80 per hr. # hours should be enought time for one tech to find the trouble. It only takes 1 tech a hour to replace the switchbox and test the motor. This is Just My Opion and I've worked on motors for 20+ years.
Oldman570

Even a half competent tech should have the CDI Ignition Troubleshooting Guide and know how to follow simple directions.

I whole heartedly agree that an hour to test, troubleshot, and replace a switchbox, is plenty of time.

And TWO techs, why, are they both On-The-Job training each other?