2006 Mercury 8 hp outboard starts briefly and then dies.... don't know what to do...

Santiago1

Cadet
Just bought used jon boat & trailer with practically new 2006 Mercury outboard. Previous owner claimed to have used it only once before getting sick and hasn't been on the water since. I trust the individual. In any case, I have not been able to start the motor and keep it running. When it starts it putt-putts a little bit then conks out. My son went partners on me to buy it and I feel terrible I may have blundered badly. I checked to see if the carburetor is getting gas; it appears to be although the primer bulb never hardens. I took the hose off and there was fuel in it. Not a lot, but a little bit dribbled out. When it did start it seemed to barely be keeping itself alive. I'd be very grateful for some help resolving this issue. I thank anyone who can help in advance.

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2006 Mercury 8 hp outboard starts briefly and then dies.... don't know what to do

If the motor has not run since 2006, I would bet the carb is all gummed up with ancient gas. You're probably going to have to remove the float bowl and see what you see. Make sure the float and needle valve are working correctly and all the jets are clear and open. If you see gunk in the float bowl, you might as well remove the carb and clean everything throughly. Be sure you are running fresh gas. I'm sure it will be fine once it's cleared of everything.

JamieClay

Cadet
Re: 2006 Mercury 8 hp outboard starts briefly and then dies.... don't know what to do

When it starts it putt-putts a little bit then conks out.

Did you ever find a solution to this? I'm looking at a Merc 90 outboard that fires right up but after a second or more shuts down, like some safety override kicked in. I've had generators that behave this way when the oil is low.

Your problem sounds a lot like it.

What was the solution?

Thanks!