2000 mercury 200hp carburated slow plane

mickab

Seaman
I have a 200hp mercury 2000 model, its on a 1998 range 482. the problem is that it does not want to come up on plane. from and idle I hammer down it wants to take off then just struggles. if I try it a couple times it will finally come up. had someone squeeze the prime ball while trying to get up on plane with no difference. even hitting the enricher doesn't change anything. I pulled the plugs and all were wet. some more than others. this motor was on another boat and acted the same way. ill redo the compression test on it but the last time I did it it was 105 to 110 on all cylinders. have checked all the fuel lines on the boat and motor. all good. rebuild the carbs 3 times. so at a lose. any help would be great. thank you all in advance.

mickab

Seaman
Re: 2000 mercury 200hp carburated slow plane

well just alittle update. on further investigation i noticed even though the plugs were wet with fuel i had some that had no carbon build up. when compared to ones out of a good running motor they seemed to not even been firing. id think with a two stroke their should be alittle discoleration around the electrode. again let me know what yall think. thank you

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Most plugs will have a brown tint on the porlcin and the electrode should not be rounded off a bunch and burnt. If a motor is idled for long periods they will be dark and carboned up more. Is the prop on the motor the same as it always been or has anyone changed it to a bigger pitched prop?
Oldman570

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer

First thing I would check is do I have good spark on all cylinders....Sounds electrical to me...did you do the lync and sync after you rebuilt the carbs???? Trigger has to start to move before the carbs open...do you have a gap between the linkage and roller that opens the carbs? Just my 02....

Dukedog

Captain

Sounds electric ta me also. Being a CDM motor could be a coupla things. Control module, stator or trigger. Without tha right tools its kinda hard ta nail down..........Thats why I like tha switch box motors. That and I'm old!

mickab

Seaman

well first off thank you guys very much for the info. Oldman, the original prop on this motor was a 26p 14 5/8 prop. it was on a bullet boat and use to scream. i bought the motor with no prop but played with a 25p 14 5/8 and a 23p 14 1/2. my old boat had alot of water issues with the haul. it was a 1991 20ft boat. so i ran the 23p prop and chalked it up to a water logged boat. now with my new boat i still have the same problem. 1neble0 i did not do the link and sync. i never removed the fuel linkage from the motor just disconnected them at the carb. but i will check if their is a gap. how do i go about doing the link and sync? Dukedog, what are the tools ill need? i have a dva tester, timing light, mutimeter, and alittle bit of know how. just need a direction. cant trust my local boat shops around. but always have faith here in iboats. always got good help. their is a ton of threads here with the same issues im having but very few with their solution. but i promise to post my fix when it happens. so thanks again for the info

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

You can find a online manual for your motor at Boatinfo - The library, containing manuals, brochures and other technical documents from the last hundred years! that will tell you everything about your motor and how to do settings and electrical readings for all the componets. After trying diffrent pitch props, with no improvement as stated, then I also would be checking the fuel sustem and the electrical. Not sure about your motor, but some of the newer motors have it where they only run on half of the cylenders till they reach around 3000 RPM then pickup the rest of the cylenders. If this is the case then it could very well be your troubles are caused by a bad sender or the EMC of the motor. Most dealers have a computor an a program that they hookup to the motor and read the trouble codes that are stored in the ECM inorder to find what is causing the trouble. It might be best to check to see if your motor is one of those and take it to a dealer and have them check it over. JMO
Oldman570

mickab

Seaman

ok yesterday I looked at he linkage for the trigger and carbs. all was fine. then pulled the plugs again and just the starboard side plugs had milky fuel on them. I pulled that head and seen were the gasket was leaking. so got that part on order. I inspected the wires on the motor and found the trigger harness, every wire was corroded and the rubber coating on the wires were brittle and falling apart. not sure yet if this is my problem but it seems a good place to start. when the parts come in ill update y'all.

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer

He has carbs so no ECM...your motor is very easy to work on since you don't have any of the fuel injected sensors..dealer cannot read anything as you don't have a computer on that motor.........

Dukedog

Captain

He has carbs so no ECM...your motor is very easy to work on since you don't have any of the fuel injected sensors..dealer cannot read anything as you don't have a computer on that motor.........

Beg ta differ. It does have tha ecm (usually tha culprit). No ecu. Its an electronic (no switch boxes) motor........

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer

Beg ta differ. It does have tha ecm (usually tha culprit). No ecu. Its an electronic (no switch boxes) motor........

Agreed...meant to write ECU...........

mickab

Seaman

ok i know its been a couple weeks but here is an update. i replaced the trigger with a new one with no change. course the head gasket change i knew wouldnt do much. but with the trigger change i noticed a difference at idle. so i checked the timing and it was way off. i tried to time the motor and got it close but no change. so i pulled the fly wheel back off to see what i may have messed up. noticed the stater was not mounted in the same position that it was originally. i put it back the way i took it off. this was done by the original owner. i have two other mercs and checked were the stater position is and they were the same. so moved this stater to match the other two and it got alot better. still struggles to get on plane but not as bad. tested the stater and did not get the correct readings. got a new one coming. i think that was MY issue. but stater location has got me confused alittle. is their a rule of thumb for these things? cant really find anything in the manual that i have. alittle insight on that would be great.