How do i get to charge my battery via the engine. Mariner 75hp [ 1989 ]

paul7777

Recruit
Hi All.

Just bought another boat after 10 yrs away from the sea.. It?s my attempt to get the kids away from the ipads etc. And into making and holding a conversations, maybe fishing and exploring the Devon coastline.
So I?ve bought an entry level day boat, which needs tidying. That?s OK.

It?s came with a new battery, quicksilver control box [ push to choke ] and an old looking Mariner 75hp outboard [ 1989, 3 cyl ]
Now I?ve put everything together. And I?ve got the engine to start via the key in the control box?

But I?m wondering how do I charge my battery via the engine ? I?ve had a look around inside the engine cover, and there are a few small electrically loose leads hanging around.

Can I run a wire off of any of them back to my battery ?

Any ideas guy?s would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks.
Paul.

Laddies

Banned
Re: How do i get to charge my battery via the engine. Mariner 75hp [ 1989 ]

The under flywheel alternator should do the trick.

18.jpg

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Nice chart Laddies! Paul what you need to do is put a multimeter across the battery leads and get a voltage reading. Then start the motor, check again, give it some throttle and check yet another time. If the voltage goes up under throttle, then you are charging properly.

paul7777

Recruit

Nice chart Laddies! Paul what you need to do is put a multimeter across the battery leads and get a voltage reading. Then start the motor, check again, give it some throttle and check yet another time. If the voltage goes up under throttle, then you are charging properly.

Hi Guys..

Thanks for replies.
Pete, are you saying that just having the main battery leads connected, that i will get a charge back when the engine is being used ? [ under load ]

Bondo

Staff member

Hi Guys..

Thanks for replies.
Pete, are you saying that just having the main battery leads connected, that i will get a charge back when the engine is being used ? [ under load ]

Ayuh,... Provided the wirin' is correct, Yes...

paul7777

Recruit

Ayuh,... Provided the wirin' is correct, Yes...

Well i think the wiring is correct. starter switch works, electric choke kicks in, and engine starts at the turn of the key..
So your saying that i'll get a charge from the two main leads from the battery. when i'm using the engine...

Thanks...

Bondo

Staff member

Well i think the wiring is correct. starter switch works, electric choke kicks in, and engine starts at the turn of the key..
So your saying that i'll get a charge from the two main leads from the battery. when i'm using the engine...

Thanks...

Again,... YES....

Put a meter on it as explained above to see...

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think he is, buuut, know that engines of that size and vintage had notoriously anemic amperage output, and usually didn't reach full output until near wide-open-throttle. Don't plan on a rapid battery charge until you get it checked for maximum output, then you can plan accordingly. My boys are 38 and still love the water, working on 3 grandchildren now ... :joyous: