1995 Mercury Mariner Outboard No Start

Brheath13

Recruit
I took the boat out Yesturday (twin 250,s). The port engine while at crushing speed was jumping all over the place, started no problem, ran great for about 20 mins but then started seeing the the RPMs dropping like a short or misfire. Eventually it just died and would crank quickly but no start. I checked all connections/grounds and they're all tight and true. If I lightly tapped on the ECM it would almost start but putter out. I'm pretty sure it's an ECM internal short of the ground put want to do a few tests before spending the big dough, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanksnin advance.

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1995 Mercury Mariner Outboard No Start

Get a manual and some test epuipment and a little luck.

Brheath13

Recruit
Re: 1995 Mercury Mariner Outboard No Start

I took the boat out Yesturday (twin 250,s). The port engine while at crushing speed was jumping all over the place, started no problem, ran great for about 20 mins but then started seeing the the RPMs dropping like a short or misfire. Eventually it just died and would crank quickly but no start. I checked all connections/grounds and they're all tight and true. If I lightly tapped on the ECM it would almost start but putter out. I'm pretty sure it's an ECM internal short of the ground put want to do a few tests before spending the big dough, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanksnin advance.

So I checked each cylinder for spark and found that three cylinders out of the six are not sparking. Kep in mind this is and EFI motor with coils. The weird thing is while checking for spark, with a spark plug out of the motor and cranking, th engine would start right up, idle bad because of the missing sixth spark plug, but would run, weird because with six plugged in it wouldn't. After checking all coils/cylinders for spark it ran like a champ, for about 30 minutes, then died and wouldn't start. I've come to the below conclusion.

The stator is there for two reasons
1. Small coils arranged on the sides of the stator are for battery charging purposes.
2. The larger coils supply voltage to the powerpacks/ign coils.

The reason it would start with five instead of six is because the stator had enough voltage for 5 but not 6, after "tricking the system" six times it may have built up enough voltage to run all 6 for a short time.

I'm going to somehow test the stator (said it would be gooey if bad) with a volt meter, any advice thus far would be appreciated as well.

Let me know what you think,
Brad~